Guten Tag from Biergarten

Maybe it’s because of my great-great grandfather owned a beer garden stateside, but Biergarten is climbing up my list of favorite places to have dinner around the World Showcase. While I usually avoid buffets at Disney World, this one is great. There is a wide variety of foods to choose from and the atmosphere can’t be beat. Where else on WDW property do guests be serenaded by an Oompah band while swinging around their stein of beer?

Upon walking into the restaurant, guests can’t help but marvel at the décor. The area is set up to resemble an actual outdoor Biergarten in a Bavarian village at the height of Oktoberfest. Long tables are set up as they would be during the famous Autumn celebration. If you have a small party chances are you will be sitting with another group. To me this is part of the fun of eating at Biergarten! On one of my trips here my friend and I wound up hanging out with the family we dined with for the rest of the evening. Don’t be shy you never know who you’ll meet.

In addition to the festive surroundings, the entertainment is a ton of fun. The oompah band starts swinging approximately every 45 minutes so you should be able to catch at least one of their sets. They play traditional Bavarian music and encourage audience participation. There is even a dance floor set up in front of the stage. Guests of all ages seem to get a kick out of doing a little polka. At Christmas time these talented musicians do a special holiday presentation which I’m partial to.

Before we get to the food we must discuss the beer. When my friend Tom and I last visited he was determined to get himself the liter of beer. It’s a good thing there’s so much food to sop it all up! Our server (who exclaimed “Helmstetter is a German name, you know!”) convinced us to try a selection not readily available elsewhere. We were glad we did! We both got the Franziskaner Weisse and both really liked it. There are several beers and wines to sample on the menu. If you can’t make up your mind you can get a flight of either beer or wine to sample them all! Keep in mind only soft drinks are included in the price of the buffet.

You may be wary of trying German food since it is very sausage heavy. If Wursts aren’t your thing there are plenty of other options on the menu. I’m a bad German girl and I stay away from the sausages, but I still love this place. I could eat spaetzle, schnitzel, and red cabbage all day. If you are a fan of the pretzel bread found at Le Cellier, Biergarten offers its own version. And if all else fails there’s the kids section with the usual mac and cheese, etc. The dessert offerings are also quite tasty; I especially like the berry compote.

For those on a tighter budget, the restaurant also offers lunch with a few less offerings and a bit of a discount.

Here's Tom enjoying his liter of beer!

Here's Tom enjoying his liter of beer!

Next week I’ll discuss the resort I stay at most…

Posted on July 20, 2009

16 Responses to “Guten Tag from Biergarten”

• by Otis Godfrey on July 21, 2009, at 6:57 am EDT

My wife and I also love the Biergarten. It is one of our favorites. The food is fantastic, the beer is great, and the entertainment is perfect while you,re eating. Sitting with another couple or familly can really be fun. The people you meet are always interesting and usually alot of fun. Join in the party and have a ball.

• Can you recall what the buffet offers in the way of vegetables (other than potatoes)? The thing that keeps me away from this is the fear there will be no green vegetables offered. The only pics I’ve ever seen are heavy on the sausages and potatoes.

• by Kristen Helmstetter on July 21, 2009, at 1:02 pm EDT

Thanks for reading! Yes there are veggies on the menu. You can check out menus for all of WDW’s restuarants at allearsnet.com. I knew there were at least salads on the menu but I went back to check since its been a couple months since I was acutally there. There are indeed salads as well as some hot veggies to pick from. Like I said I don’t eat any sausages and I still have plenty to eat (too much really). Plus I never met a potato I didn’t like. Don’t be afraid to try it out!

• We also love Biergarten. On out last trip there were 10 of us in the group, so we filled one entire table. Four of the 10 were children who certainly ate their fair share of food. But what I wanted to add was the our group absolutely loved the bavarian cheesecake. I was quite excited when All Ears posted the recipe on their website – I am looking forward to making the recipe at home!

• by Dwight Hayes, Jr. on July 22, 2009, at 9:52 am EDT

On our last trip (May 2008) we tried unsuccessfuly to eat at the Mexican Pavillion but were turned away (no reservations). Each time we went to the Biergarten and was seated in less than 5 minutes, front row, center stage. We couldn’t have asked for better. Food is great also, even though I can’t eat beef there were other meats available to still make it worthwhile.

• by Caroline Baggerly on July 23, 2009, at 8:13 am EDT

Hi Kristen,
    As many times as I’ve been to WDW, I’ve never been to Biergarten — not sure I like German food. ;). (I’ll eat Pretzel Bread.)
    I’ll try to get an ADR for my trip in August. You make it sound really fun!! Thanks for the great article.
    Caroline

• by Kristen Helmstetter on July 23, 2009, at 12:09 pm EDT

Heya Caroline,

Don’t be afraid to try it! There are plenty of things to pick from. There’s even a carving station for just plain ol’ meat. And its good to try new things! I even tried a little sausage the last time… and then I remembered why I don’t eat it hehe. Thats also the nice thing about trying a buffet you aren’t locked into whatever entry you order. Have a German adventure on your next trip!

• by Jim O'Halloran on July 24, 2009, at 9:57 am EDT

How many do you need in your party to get your own table, do you think? We are a family of 6 and I guess we suffer from mild social anxiety disorder! Thanks in advance!

• by Kristen Helmstetter on July 24, 2009, at 7:48 pm EDT

I believe the tables have eight seats, there may be some bigger ones around though. I’ve only gone in parties of two so I’ve only been seated at tables with eight spaces. Don’t be anxious though its always nice to chat with other WDW guests!

• The tables I have sat at are 8 seats. The first time, our group of three was seated with another group of 3. The other group left soon after we were seated, and there were enough empty tables that we were able to stay by ourselves for the rest of the meal. However, part of the fun of the experience is acting crazy with everyone else, so it’s nice to sit with other people. The last time we went, we convinced one of our tablemates to try some of the Spaten Marzen, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and soon after started singing along with the rest of us.

• First up, great post! I’ve got a small question nagging me, I really like the layout of your site and tried to download the same design on my Worpdress site. Yet, there is some kind of weird php error in the footer. Do you have any hints, what settings are you using? Please PM me on Twitter @HealthyLivin or per e-mail.

• I seem to be having a hard time , subscribing to your RSS feed. It comes up with error 500. Let me know if its a common error or if its just me . Ive tried firefox and IE. Im using Kaspersky Firewall and im not sure if its turned on . Im not Great with Laptops. Ill come back to your site and see if you have responded. bye now