Filed under: Uncategorized
In less than a month, Disney’s Inaugural Wine and Dine Half Marathon will commence. The Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon begins at 10:00 p.m. If running 12.1 miles isn’t enough – now participants will challenge themselves to run through the night – dare I say, when most of us are usually sleeping.
There is a new half marathon course at the Walt Disney World Resort. The new course starts at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex takes participants through Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and finishes at World Showcase in Epcot.
I am excited and frankly nervous. This is only my second ever running event, my first was the Disney Princess Half Marathon in March 2010. I have to say training for this is even harder than training for the Princess because it has been so darn hot.
I never thought I could accomplish a Half Marathon. The thrill of running through Disney World motivates me beyond what I ever imagined I could do. Disney entertainment along with the people lining the course will help distract and motivate all of us running. I can’t begin to tell you how thankful I was for the people cheering and the entertainment during the Princess.
For the Wine and Dine Half Marathon here are a few facts that will be helpful to you:
- In order to receive a finisher medal you must run a 16 minute mile or you will be swept from the course. If you are picked up and transported to the finish line for any reason you will not receive a finisher medal.
- All runners are required to attend the Expo located at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. There they will receive race number and packet pick-up: Friday, October 1, 2010: 12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. & Saturday, October 2, 2010: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- The After Party: Saturday, October 2, – Sunday, October 3, 2010: 10:30 p.m. – 3:00 a.m. Was this your motivation to register for the Wine Dine?
- There will be a baggage drop off location at the race start for participants
- These are the only hotels that have transportation to the race: Disney’s All-Star Sports, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside& French Quarter, Beach Club, Polynesian & BoardWalk Inn
One of my favorite things about the Disney Half Marathons is the ChronoTrack timing system. A ChronoTrack timing D-tag will be located on the back of each runner’s race bib. The disposable D-tag should be peeled off and attached to the participant’s shoe before the race. During the Princess Half Marathon, my son got text message updates about my progress and he knew when I would be passing by his location. It was the highlight of the race for me to High-Five Tyler and keep going. I know this system isn’t exclusive to Disney, but the High-Fiving Tyler and the magical location made it one of the most memorable days of my life.
For those of you who are participating, keep up the good work, fight the good fight, we can do it!! For those thinking about it for the future – Go For It!! You’ll be so proud. And for those of you coming to cheer, please know we can’t do it without you. You will get us to the finish line.
I would love to hear your story or answer any questions. You can follow me on Twitter @Caroline251