by Seth Kubersky on May 21, 2012
Filed under: Disneyland (CA)
Greetings, and welcome to the latest edition of Last Week at Disneyland Resort. The resort is rapidly gearing up for the debut of Buena Vista Street and Carsland in less than a month, so there is plenty of activity all around!
Look for the light May attendance to give way to Memorial Day crowds, which will then stick around most of the summer.
- Quietest Day: Resort attendance was lowest on May 15 (predicted 3 out of 10, actual 2)
- Busiest Day: Resort attendance was highest on May 13 (predicted 6 out of 10, actual 8 )
- After-hours parties were held on May 14 & 15 for annual passholders to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Fantasmic. Two more parties will be held on May 21 & 22.
- The sweepstakes for annual passholders to win a preview of Cars Land continues through May 24.
- Grad Nights were held for high school seniors on the 16-18, and will continue on 23-25 and 30&31.
- In anticipation of Cars Land’s opening, “faces” have been applied to the monorails at Disneyland Resort. Look for Mandy, Mona, and Manny Monorail circling the beam all summer.
- A Cars Land walking tour “meet up” was announced on May 16 for readers of the Disney Parks blog. All 33 slots On the May 39 tour were quickly claimed.
- Annual Passholders, D23, and Club 33 members were also invited to purchase admission to special preview events on June 8 & 9, including VIP World of Color viewing and dinner at the new Carthay Circle.
- On May 18, Disney gave two days notice of a major price increase for Disneyland Resort admission tickets, effective May 20. Among the notable changes: 6-day park hoppers have been discontinued, and Premiere Passes have jumped an astronomical $100 to $850. Read all the details here.
- It was announced that Annual Passholders will have the opportunity to attend “early entry” events at both parks this summer (June 18 though September 13). Availability will be limited and advance registration is required.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Disney announced that the Carnation Cafe will return to operation on June 13 with expanded seating and an updated menu.
- The Matterhorn Bobsleds reopen on June 15; check out this new time-lapse video of the massive scaffolding needed to complete its restoration.
- The Frontierland Shooting’ Exposition is closed through May 25.
- A new Brave-themed interactive meet & greet opened near it’s a small world.
Disney California Adventure
- Goofy’s Sky School had a brief refurbishment May 7-17.
- Construction on Buena Vista Street and Cars Land continues though June 15. Details of new Red Trolley Car-themed merchandise were announced.
- Pixar’s upcoming film Brave will join the World of Color show in a new segment starting June 15.
- More details were released about the Mad T Party evening street festival that begins in June.
- The Cove Bar at Ariel’s Grotto was closed for refurbishment, and is scheduled to reopen this weekend.
- The former home of Island Charter is being converted into the WonderGround Art gallery, to reopen on June 9.
- The former Compass Books is being turned into an Earl of Sandwich, opening date TBA.
- The UVA Bar is being renovated and will return in early June.
All photos copyright Disney.