It was a relatively quiet week at the Disneyland Resort. But there is still plenty of news coming out about June’s anticipated expansions, as we wait out these last few days of “calm before the storm.”
The slow spring season is swiftly slipping away as Disneyland gears up for record crowds all summer.
Quietest Day: Thursday, May 30 (Predicted 5 out of 10, actual 5)
Busiest Day: Monday, May 28 (Predicted 8 out of 10, actual 9)
- Grad Nights were held at both parks on 5/30, 5/31, and 6/1, and will continue on 6/6-8.
- 66 lucky readers of the Disney Parks Blog were allowed “behind the wall” in Cars Land on May 29 for a walking tour with Imagineers.
- Disneyland donated the large “CALIFORNIA” letters that formerly stood outside of Disney California Adventure to the California State Fair for permanent display.
- On May 27, Disneyland’s Space Mountain turned 35 years old.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- The Carnation Cafe will reopen on June 13.
- The Matterhorn Bobsleds will reopen on June 15.
- More details were released about the new Disney Castle exhibit coming to the Disney Gallery on Main Street U.S.A. On June 30.
- The Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree is being held Friday-Sunday in Frontierland, and will expand on June 18 to 7 days, featuring performances by Billy Hill and the Hillbillies through the summer.
Disney California Adventure
- Construction walls came down around the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop, which is now in soft-opening, and officially opens on June 7.
- Menu details were released for food at the Crazy Cone Motel in Cars Land, opening June 15.
- The Pixar Play Parade began soft-opening runs in preparation for its official return to the park on June 15, after a year and a half hiatus.
- The Cove Bar reopened after refurbishment with some new vintage theming and some additional specialty drinks on the menu.
- Disney announced that the WonderGround art gallery will open on June 9.
- The La Brea Bakery Cafe reopened on June 1 with expanded seating and a new menu.
- A multimedia-equipped truck will appear June 3-7 to promote the premiere of “TRON: Uprising” on the Disney XD channel.
- The Sunglass Icon store reopened after a brief remodeling.
All photos copyright Disney