by Seth Kubersky on July 9, 2012
It was another busy attendance week, but a relatively slow news week, at Disney's Anaheim resort.
Quietest Day: Crowds were smaller than anticipated on the 4th of July, with a 7.3 in Disneyland and a 5.2 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Friday 7/6 was a 7.3 in Disneyland at 10 at DCA.
- The Bakersfield Californian newspaper reported that a dragon was spotted flying over Shafter's Minter Field airport in Southern California. Though officially unconfirmed, it was reported to be an Imagineering test for the Avatar project at Orlando's Animal Kingdom.
- Patriotic entertainment, including special fireworks at Disneyland, was performed around the resort in honor of Independence Day.
- California Avocado Week was celebrated at Downtown Disney with contests and cooking demonstrations.
- The Disney blog released the recipe for the kabobs served at Paradise Garden Grill in DCA (yum!)
- Disney released video demonstrating how the new Glow with the Show ear hats interact with Mad T Party and Cars Land at DCA.
- Another video released by Disney documents the ascent of mountaineers on Disneyland's Matterhorn from the climbers' perspective.
- Verizon mobile subscribers can enter a sweepstakes for a trip to Disneyland. Entry is open through September 2.
- Disneyland donated the Lighting McQueen Power Wheels toy cars seen in a recent promotional video to 10 local children's non-profits.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- All attractions in both parks were scheduled to operate as normal.
- Plaza Gardens in Disneyland is being rebuilt as Princess Fantasy Faire, reopening in 2013.
The former Compass Books in Downtown Disney is very slowly being turned into Earl of Sandwich, with a vague opening date of Late Summer