by Seth Kubersky on July 30, 2012
The world's attention turned to London this week, but that didn't stop heavy crowds from continuing to head to Disneyland Resort.
Quietest Day: Friday 7/27 was a 9 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 8.6 and Disneyland Park at 9.2.
Busiest Day: Tuesday 7/24 and Thursday 7/26 were both a 10 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 9.8 and Disneyland Park at 9.7.
- Protests against the Anaheim City Police Department were held outside Disneyland Resort in the wake of recent officer-related fatal shootings.
- “The section of Route 66 in Cars Land is approximately 525 feet long and 23 feet wide.” This and other trivia was released in a Disney Parks Blog post entitled Things you might not know about Cars Land.
- Readers of the Disney Parks Blog quickly snapped up all free tickets to attend a showing of World of Color and recieve free “Glow with the Show” mouse ears on Monday, June 30.
- Images were released of new series of Disney-themed old-fashioned wooden toys, which will be available in stores at the Disneyland Resort.
- The free Disneyland Explorer iPad app was recently updated with new information and interactive games featuring Cars Land and Buena Vista Street.
- To celebrate the anniversary of the Davey Crocket Explorer Canoes, Disney released a video highlighting a day in the life of a canoe river guide.
- On July 24, the July 13th passing of Ginny Tyler, head mouseketter in the 1960s and voice of the Disneyland storyteller records, was announced.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- A video was released celebrating the restoration of the Welte Orcheteron inside Main Street USA's Penny Arcade.
- As our researcher Guy Selga Jr., reported, the Jungle Cruise closed unexpectedly on Thursday 7/26 to install new saftey bumpers around the boats. The ride is expected to reopen by 8/2.
- Construction continues on the Princess Fantasy Faire in Disneyland. Disney acknowledged that the princess meet & greets will temporarily relocate in August to the “it's a small world” area, as a new theatrical show is readied for their former home.
- Work also continued on the Earl of Sandwich restaurant in Downtown Disney. The newsstand in front of the restaurant is also being removed to “improve guest flow.”
- All other park attractions were scheduled to be in operation as normal.