by Seth Kubersky on August 1, 2012
Filed under: Disneyland (CA)
As we enter the final month of Cars Land's blockbuster first summer season, Disneyland Resort has survived some of the largest crowds in its history. Fear not; there's still plenty of activity predicted before the peak season crowds taper off towards the end of this month. And if you can hold out for a few more weeks, near-optimal touring conditions are on the horizon.
Quietest Day: By the last week of the month, crowds should slow considerably, with Thursday 8/30 predicted at only 2.2 out of 10 at Disneyland, and 4.7 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Sunday 8/19 is the last day of Summer Break season, so crowds should top out 10 out of 10 in Disneyland, and 9.7 at DCA.
- Destination D, a convention for D23 fan club members celebrating 75 years of Disney animated features, will be held August 11-12 at the Disneyland Hotel.
- Tickets for the 2013 D23 Expo (August 9-11 at the Anaheim Convention Center) go on sale online August 9th.
- Pixar in Concert, a live multimedia performance of film scores from Toy Story, The Incredibles, and other hits, will be performed August 3-5 at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
- Taste of Downtown Disney, an annual charity dining event benefiting Children's Hospital of Orange County, is on Thursday 8/16. A special package including overnight accommodations in the Dream Suite over Pirates of the Caribbean is still available for a $5000 donation.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- The Jungle Cruise is closed through Thursday 8/2 to improve guest safety at the boat dock.
- Princess Fantasy Faire closes on 8/12, and the princess meet and greets will relocate to the elevated mall near it's a small world. The Fantasyland Theatre will reopen as an entertainment venue at an unannounced date.
- The Haunted Mansion closes on 8/27 for installation of its seasonal Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. It reopens as Haunted Mansion Holiday on 9/14.
- Construction continues through 2013 on transforming the former Carnation Plaza Gardens into the new Princess Fantasy Faire.
- Construction continues on Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. The newsstand in front of the former Compass Bookstore is also being demolished. There is no announced completion date for the project.