The Halloween season kicked off last week at Disneyland, attracting spooks and ghouls of all shapes and sizes to the Anaheim resort during what is otherwise an exceptionally slow season.
Busiest Day: Saturday 9/15 was a 6 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 6.5 and Disneyland Park at 5.4.
Quietest Day: Monday 9/10 through Wednesday 9/12 were 1 out of 10 at the resort, with DCA crowds at 1.1 and Disneyland Park at 1.1.
- Halloween Time began at Disneyland on September 14, including the annual debut of Ghost Galaxy and Haunted Mansion Holiday. The even runs through October 31, with after-hours parties beginning on 9/28.
- New merchandise is also available to commemorate the Halloween season. A new series of Vinylmation figures from the Haunted Mansion, featuring the long-lost Hatbox Ghost, will be released on 9/22 at D Street in Downtown Disney.
- Mexican Independence Day was celebrated 9/16 with food and drink specials at Tortilla Joe’s in Downtown Disney.
- Disneyland cast members volunteered to build a new playground on 9/10 at the Boys and Girls Club of Santa Ana.
- Artist Robert Olszewski will appear at the Main Street USA’s Disney Gallery on 9/21-23, when his attraction sculptures and collectibles will be on sale.
- Disney released the recipe for the Bloody Mary cocktails served at the Carthay Circle Lounge.
- Controversially, generic modern merchandise has been added to the carefully-decorated period shop windows lining DCA’s Buena Vista Street.
- Disneyland donated old ride cars from the Matterhorn Bobsleds to the National Roller Coaster Museum.
- Actor Dylan McDermott was photographed riding the Red Car Trolley down DCA’s Buena Vista Street
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Haunted Mansion: Reopened on 9/14 after installation of the Nightmare Before Christmas-themed Hauntend Mansion Holiday overlay. Unlike in past years, FASTPASS was not offered for the attraction during opening weekend. Look for a reference to the film Frankenweenie in the Mansion pet cemetery.
- Indiana Jones Adventure: Closed through 12/7/12 for a much needed refurbishment.
- Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train: Closed through 11/15/12.
- Big Thunder Ranch: Reopened 9/14 after installation of Halloween Carnival decor.
- Space Mountain: Reopened 9/14 after installation the Ghost Galaxy seasonal overlay.
- Construction continues through 2013 on the new Princess Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland Theatre.
- Snow White’s wishing well and grotto are currently undergoing refurbishment.
- Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port is closed until 9/21 for refurbishment.
Disney California Adventure
- Muppet*Vision 3D was closed 9/10/12 through 9/13/12, and will screen a 4D preview of the Frankenweenie film now through 10/31.
- The Art of Animation lobby was closed 9/10/13 through 9/13/13 to install a Frankenweenie exhibit, but the other attractions inside remained open. In celebration of the new exhibit, the hot dog stand across the street is selling a bacon wrapped weenie.
- Construction continues on Earl of Sandwich, with no opening date announced yet.