by Seth Kubersky on November 1, 2012
The Halloween cobwebs haven't even been swept away yet, and already Christmas decor is cropping up around the Disneyland Resort. If you don't mind a little aesthetic overlap in your seasonal surrounding, and finding a number of favorite attractions off-limits for refurbishment, then the next couple weeks are an ideal time for crowd-free touring. Then, buckle up for a blockbuster Thanksgiving, as Disney California Adventure approaches its first peak holiday period since Cars Land's summer debut.
Quietest Day: Most weekdays this month (with the exception of Thanksgiving Week) should see light crowds. Tuesday 11/13 is predicted at only 1 out of 10 resort-wide, with a 1.1 out of 10 at Disneyland, and 2.7 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Crowds will be at a maximum from 11/20 through 11/25 for the Thanksgiving holiday. Friday 11/23 is the month's predicted peak at 10 out of 10, with a 10.0 in Disneyland, and 9.2 at DCA.
- Disneyland's Holiday Time seasonal celebration kicks off on 11/12, and runs through 1/6.
- The Holiday Time at Disneyland Park guided tour is available 11/12 through 1/6. The 3 hour tours are offered daily during that period, and cost $68 per person (plus admission).
- Dining packages and annual Passholder registration for the popular Candlelight Ceremony (which expands to December 1-20 this year) will be available by mid-November.
- A temporary ice skating rink has been set up in Downtown Disney for the holiday season; admission costs $15, plus skate rental.
- Holders of 4 and 5 day tickets are now being asked to enter Disneyland Resort parks through specially marked turnstiles and show ID, in an effort to reduced resale fraud.
- The annual Disney holiday parade is expected to be filmed in Disneyland for later broadcast on November 3, with November 4 as the rain backup day. Expect crowding and intermittent attraction closures during the taping day.
- The upcoming motion picture Saving Mr. Banks, starring Tom Hanks as Walt Disney, will be filming at Disneyland on November 6-7.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Indiana Jones Adventure: Closed through 12/7/12 for a much needed refurbishment.
- Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train: Closed through 11/15/12.
- Construction continues through 2013 on the new Princess Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland Theatre.
- “it's a small world”: Closed 10/22 to 11/8 for holiday overlay installation.
- Big Thunder Ranch: Closed 11/1 to 11/8 to remove Halloween decor.
- Space Mountain: Closed 11/5 to remove “Ghost Galaxy” overlay.
- Donald's Boat: Closed 11/12 to 11/15 for refurbishment.
- Mic key's Fun Wheel: Closed 11/26 to 12/6 for refurbishment.
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail: Closed 10/22 to 11/8 for refurbishment.
- Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney is now in soft-open, and officially opens on 11/2.