by Seth Kubersky on December 3, 2012
Filed under: Disneyland (CA)
Last week, like the current one, was a relatively calm one at the Disneyland Resort, but don't be fooled: this is only the calm before the storm. Expect heavy weekend crowds, and steadily building weekday ones, from now through the end of the year, as locals and tourists alike rush to enjoy the parks' Christmas decor.
Quietest Day: Monday 11/26 through Wednesday 11/28 were all 1s out of 10 at the resort, with 1.1 at Disneyland, and 1.1 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Saturday 12/1 was a 9 out of 10 at the resort, with a 8.9 at Disneyland, and 7.9 at DCA.
- Disneyland's Holiday season continues through 1/6/2013, with the Holiday Fantasy daytime parade performing daily.
- The Candlelight Processional at Disneyland Park began on 12/1 and runs every day until 12/20. All tickets have already been distributed to VIPs and Annual Passholders, but limited standing-room-only viewing may be available around Town Square. Due to stage equipment for the show, access to the Main Street Train Station is currently through the exits. Expect extreme congestion on Main Street during parade nights; look for the backstage bypasses (if open) to escape from the hub.
- Guided VIP tours of Disneyland's holiday offerings are available now through the end of the season.
- Themed gingerbread houses were put on display at Carthay Circle Restaurant; Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical Cafe; and Flo's V-8 Cafe in DCA.
- You can now send customizable holiday greeting e-cards featuring Mickey and friends from Disney's website.
- Now through 1/6, the Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks show at Disneyland Park interacts with Glow With The Show light-up mouse ear hats.
- Santa is making daily appearances at Big Thunder Ranch's Jingle Jangle Jamboree through the end of the season.
- Holiday decor, seasonal songs, and nightly “snowfalls” have been added to DCA's Mad T Party now through New Years. Glow in the dark collectible pins are also now on sale.
- Downtown Disney's WonderGround art gallery announced a new Good vs Evil exhibit for 12/15 with in-person appearances by the artists on that morning and afternoon.
- The Disney Parks blog released video tours of holiday decor in Cars Land, and Main Street USA with Imagineer Kim Irvine.
- D23 announced its schedule of fan events for 2013, highlighted by the annual D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center from August 9-11.
- Fresh hand-made candy canes were prepared at Disneyland's Candy Palace on Monday and Friday, and at DCA's Trolley Treats on Tuesday and Saturday. Arrive at park opening to secure a wristband and be prepared for a long, long, wait if you want one of the $13 sweets!
- Disney released a video highlighting the Wreck-It Ralph meet & greet currently operating inside Tomorrowland's Starcade.
- Santa Claus posed for (paid) photos in the mornings at the Paradise Pier hotel, and in the evenings at the Grand Californian and Disneyland hotels.
- A modest “holiday village” of merchandise and snack vendors continues operating near the ice skating rink in Downtown Disney.
- Disneyland Resort is now allowing guests with 4 or 5 day passes to enter the parks through any turnstile, but is still checking photo IDs. This results in slow entry procedures; be prepared this holiday season to arrive extra early (at least 45 pre-opening) to be one of the first people into the park.
- Disneyland Resort cast member Russell Fenton returned to work after a 10-month deployment in Afghanistan, after winning the Bronze Star as a US Army 1st Lieutennant.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Indiana Jones Adventure: Closed through 12/7 for an extended refurbishment.
- Construction continues through 2013 on the new Princess Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland Theatre.
- MuppetVision 4D has been temporarily replaced with the Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice 3-D short film for the holiday season.
- A Prep & Landing sequence has also been temporarily added to World of Color performances.
Mickey’s Fun Wheel was closed for refurbishment 11/26 through 12/6.