by Seth Kubersky on December 31, 2012
Did you get all the gifts you asked Santa for last week? The Disneyland Resort found exactly what it wanted under the tree this holiday season: record-setting crowds overrunning both its parks. Heavy attendance will hang around for the first couple weeks of the new year, when the resort returns to its pre-holiday look as the Cristmas decor comes down.
Quietest Day: Monday 12/24 was an 8 out of 10 at the resort, with 7.6 at Disneyland, and 7.9 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Thursday 12/27 was an 10 out of 10 at the resort, with a 10 at Disneyland, and 10 at DCA.
- Disneyland's Holiday season concludes on 1/6/2013, with the Holiday Fantasy daytime parade performing daily. Guided VIP tours of Disneyland's holiday offerings are still available through 1/6.
- The Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade was broadcast on ABC, featuring footage of Disneyland Resort.
- Players from the Wisconsin Badgers and Stanford Cardinals college football teams toured Disneyland together on December 26 prior to their Rose Bowl face off on New Years Day. A Cars Land-themed float will be a highlight of the Tournament of Roses parade on Tuesday.
- Disneyland will celebrate the Hispanic holiday Three Kings Day (Día de los Reyes Magos) with special food and entertainment at Big Thunder Ranch on 1/4-6.
- Check out this cute video of the “roastie-toastie” dolls found inside Disneyland's popcorn vending carts.
- The Disney Parks Blogs released compilations of their Top 10 YouTube Videos and Top Disneyland-related stories from 2012.
- As part of the 2013 Limited Time Magic promotion, a tribute to the classic Golden Horseshoe Revue will be performed Thursday through Monday from January 10 to February 4. No word yet on how admission to the sure-to-be-popular revival will be distributed.
- Now through 1/6, the Believe…In Holiday Magic fireworks show at Disneyland Park interacts with Glow With The Show light-up mouse ear hats. Temporary exclusive viewing areas for Glow With The Show hat holders have been established for Believe, Fantasmic!, and World of Color for the next couple weeks.
- Holiday decor, seasonal songs, and nightly “snowfalls” have been added to DCA's Mad T Party now through New Years. The party will go to midnight on 12/31 with pyrotechnics at 12.
- The final 2012 days for freshly-made candy canes were 12/24 at Disneyland and 12/25 at DCA.
- Santa Claus posed for (paid) photos in the mornings at the Paradise Pier hotel, and in the evenings at the Grand Californian and Disneyland hotels.
- A modest “holiday village” of merchandise and snack vendors continues operating near the ice skating rink in Downtown Disney through 1/6.
- Disneyland Resort is now checking photo IDs for all guests holding multi-day tickets. This results in slow entry procedures; be prepared this holiday season to arrive extra early (at least 45 pre-opening) to be one of the first people into the park.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Construction continues through 2013 on the new Princess Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland Theatre.
- MuppetVision 4D has been temporarily replaced with the Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice 3-D short film for the holiday season. The Muppets should return after 1/6.
- A Prep & Landing sequence has also been temporarily added to World of Color performances through 1/6.