by Seth Kubersky on January 21, 2013
Filed under: Disneyland (CA)
Happy Inauguration Day! As America’s President retakes the oath of office in chilly Washington, the sun is rising over Anaheim on a warm Martin Luther King Day. Unlike some Superbowl stars, Obama probably won’t end his victory celebration by shouting, “I’m going to Disneyland!” But if you are visiting the Happiest Place On Earth this week, why not honor our Republic by spending some great moments with Mr. Lincoln as you enjoy this season’s short lines in Disneyland.
Quietest Day: Wednesday 1/16 was a 2 out of 10 at the resort, with 2.5 at Disneyland, and 1.1 at DCA.
Busiest Day: Saturday 1/19 was an 9 out of 10 at the resort, with a 9.9 at Disneyland, and 7.5 at DCA.
- The annual Tinker Bell Half Marathon on 1/20 brought tens of thousands of running enthusiasts to Disneyland last weekend. Registration opens on 1/22 for the Disneyland Half Marathon in September.
- As part of the 2013 Limited Time Magic promotion, a tribute to the classic Golden Horseshoe Revue opened on 1/10. The show will be performed Thursdays through Mondays until February 4. Guests can request same-day tickets to the show, or purchase Annual Passholder dinner packages. Watch this new video featuring Disneyland employees involved in the new production reminiscing about the original Golden Horseshoe show.
- Also as part of Limited Time Magic, Disney announced a Lunar New Year celebration will be held in DCA’s Pacific Wharf area on February 8-11.
- Disneyland Annual Passholders now receive one hour early entry into both parks on Saturdays and Sundays through April 14, 2013 (except 1/19, 1/20, & 2/3). Advanced registration is not necessary, and the benefit may be used more than once.
- Artist showcase events began January 12 at WonderGround Gallery, and continue each weekend in January from 1-4 p.m. At the nearby Vault 28 store, new couture HARVEYS handbags will be released on February 9.
- New merchandise featuring Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is being released, including a limited edition pocket watch exclusively sold at DCA’s Elias & Sons store.
- The Fossil store in Downtown Disney closed temporarily for remodeling.
- As part of the the Limited Time Magic campaign, the New Orleans Bayou Bash returned on January 18, bringing Mardi Gras food and music to Disneyland on weekends through February 12.
- Disneyland released this video of Imagineer Marty Sklar’s 2009 retirement ceremony, in which he received a coveted window on Main Street USA.
- The Blue Sky Cellar near Cars Land reopened on 1/19 with new exhibits previewing the new Fantasy Faire in Disneyland Park. Newly released concept art depicts the interior of Fantasy Faire’s Royal Hall meet and greet.
- A new online special currently offers a 3-Day Disneyland Park Hopper for $220, a $30 savings. Tickets must be purchased online by February 27 and used by March 11.
- This video from the Disney Parks blog celebrates this months 10-year anniversary of DCA’s Aladdin stage show.
- Disneyland Resort is still taking photos of all guests holding multi-day tickets. This results in slow entry procedures; be prepared to arrive extra early (at least 45 minutes pre-opening) to be one of the first people into the park.
Openings, Closings, and Refurbishments
- Construction continues on the new Princess Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland Theatre through spring 2013.
- Big Thunder Mountain is closed 1/7 through 10/30 for a major refurbishment of the track and scenery. Due to construction, the Big Thunder Trail connecting Frontierland and Fantasyland will be closed on weekdays.
- Big Thunder Ranch was closed 1/7 through 1/17 for holiday decor removal.
- Haunted Mansion reopened on 1/17 after its holiday decor was removed.
- Fantasmic! will not be performed 1/7 through 2/14.
- The Mark Twain Riverboat is closed 1/7 through 3/28 for refurbishment.
- The Main Street train station is closed 1/7 through 3/28, and the Primeval World portion of the ride is under refurbishment 1/7 through 1/23.
- Grizzly River Run is closed 1/7 through 2/28 for refurbishment.
- The Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar was closed 1/7 though 1/18 to install a new exhibit.