Disneyland Resort didn't experience the same explosive growth in the past year that it enjoyed in 2012, but that certainly doesn't mean Walt's original Magic Kingdom has stood still — and neither has the Unoffical Guide! From the newly-constructed Fantasy Faire to the latest food options around Anaheim, we've made over 200 updates and improvements to this 375-page volume.
Below is a quick look at many of the important changes included in the new book.
- A brand-new “Importance of Being Goofy” satirical essay.
- Updated Critical Comparison of attractions found at both Disneyland Park and WDW's Magic Kingdom.
- Updated list of attractions found only at Disneyland Park.
Part 1 – Planning Before You Leave Home
- Expanded information on Touringplans.com and our Lines smartphone software.
- New reccomendations on podcasts and websites to follow for the latest Disneyland news and rumors.
- The latest Disney ticket price and what’s included in Disney’s various admission options; tips for where to find savings on theme park admission; how to plan for future price increases.
- Clarified policies on upgrading partially-used multi-day passes.
- Disneyland's new photo ID policy for multi day ticket holders, and how it may impact your visit.
- The latest analysis of Disney’s Extra Magic Hours schedule and advice on how to best utilize these perks if you’re staying at a Disney resort.
- New info on the Disneyland Resort attendance and the shift in balance between the two parks.
- Expanded information on alternate parking options and walking to Disneyland from outside the resort.
- Updated guide to using the ART public transit system.
- An updated Anaheim Convention Center 2014 Calendar, including how events will affect crowds.
- Refreshed ratings and rankings for over 80 Anaheim-area hotels, including our Top 30 Best Deals and Hotels within walking distance of Disneyland.
- Updated advice about using FastPass, including disconnected attractions and the enforcement of return windows.
- New information about VIP guided tours like “Walk in Walt's Footsteps” and “Cultivating the Magic.”
Part 2 – Essentials
- New info about the daily Disney Visa private meet & greet in Disney California Adventure.
- Expanded guidance for guests with special needs.
- Inclement weather and how it affects Radiator Springs Racers.
- The latest on cell phone charging lockers and Disney's PhotoPass service, plus updated ATM locations.
Part 3 – Disneyland with Kids
- Newly added chart compiling minimum height requirements for all attractions in one place.
- Updated information on where to meet your favorite princesses in the parks, both for free and at character meals.
- Disneyland's new policies on children between the ages of 7 and 14.
Part 4 – Dining and Shopping in and around Disneyland
- An expanded comparison of Advance Dining Reservations in Disneyland vs. WDW.
- A list of where to locate our newest favorite snacks and indulgences around the parks, like barbeque pork shanks and chocolate-covered pineapple.
- Preview of the soon-to-reopen Market House on Main Street USA, now starring Starbucks Coffee.
- Menu and atmosphere updates to over 30 of the resort's counter and table service eateries, including refreshed reviews of Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, Harbor Galley, Troubador Tavern, and many more.
- Brand-new or revised reviews of more than a dozen Anaheim-area restaurants.
- Updates on the shops of Downtown Disney, and the future of Anaheim GardenWalk.
Part 5 – Disneyland Park
- Updates to Disneyland's park opening procedures.
- Many Brand new “Disney Dish with Jim Hill” anecdotes, hinting at new parades and revealing hidden Jungle Cruise jokes.
- The relocation of the Disneyana shop, the reduction of the Disney Gallery, and the renovation of Main Street lobby.
- Fuller coverage of the Dole Whip bar in Adventureland.
- Recent renovations to the Indiana Jones Adventure and Big Thunder Mountain.
- New info on where to find Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, both in the park and on iTunes.
- Updated touring advice for the Fantasyland attractions during early entry and evening fireworks.
- New reviews of the all-new Fantasy Faire Royal Theater and Royal Hall, plus a review of the new Fantasyland Theatre show “Mickey and the Magic Map.”
- Updated ride descriptions for it's a small world, Matterhorn Boblseds,and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, plus revised rating for Captain EO.
- The arrival of Tony Stark and Marvel superheroes in Tomorrowland's Innoventions.
- New old arcade games you'll find in the Starcade.
- Glow with the Show illuminated ears and interacting with Disneyland's nighttime spectaculars.
- Updated info on seasonal events including Halloween and Christmas.
- Updates to the exclusive “No Ride, No Queues, No Stress Anti-Touring Plan.”
Part 6 – Disney California Adventure
- Updates on entry procedures at DCA.
- Changes to Disney Junior, and the preemption of MuppetVision 3-D.
- More coverage of the carnival games on Paradise Pier.
- Updated advice on seeing Toy Story Midway Mania! in the wake of Radiator Springs Racers, and how to best use your RSR FastPass.
- New World of Color dining options, and fresh reader feedback about how to see the show.
- Revised touring advice for early entry, parents with small kids, and adults, including how to secure sought-after Radiator Springs Racers Fast Passes.
- New Jim Hill stories.
Part 7 – Universal Studios Hollywood
- Breaking updates on Universal's “Evolution” expansion plans, including the future arrival of Harry Potter.
- Updated prices for Universal admission and their newly-enhanced VIP program.
- A sneak preview of the under-construction Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem ride.
- Updated attraction info for WaterWorld, House of Horrors, and the NBC Universal Experience.
- New in-park dining recommendations.
And of course, we've updated all of our trademark touring plans for Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, and Universal Studios Hollywood.