It’s been just over a week since Universal Orlando‘s big Wizarding World of Harry Potter — Diagon Alley webcast reveal, but there are still plenty of surprises in store. For this edition of PotterWatch, we’ll take a look through the new Diagon Alley peep holes that Universal considerately cut in the London Waterfront’s construction wall, plus a look back at the recent Celebration of Harry Potter event via some exclusive video. Finally, we’ll finish up with a few hot new Gringotts rumors.
Diagon Alley Peep Holes
With major construction complete on Diagon Alley’s London Waterfront facade, and the scaffolding recently removed, I had feared there wouldn’t be much left to see in terms of exterior progress on the project.
Fortunately, Universal kindly added some Diagon Alley peep holes, cleverly themed as iconic red British Telecom phone booths, so that we can observe continued construction on the area that will serve as portal to the new Wizarding World expansion.
Here’s the view from the second peep hole near Fear Factor Live:
A Celebration of Harry Potter Video Recap
Last week’s Celebration of Harry Potter fan event packed the parks with robe-clad wizards eager to hear from the stars and designers behind the beloved series. In case you weren’t able to attend our missed our live-tweeting coverage, here’s a video recap of some of the weekend’s highlights:
This week, fellow Touring Plans correspondent Derek Burgan and I joined the Orlando United podcast to talk Wizarding World rumors with HateToFly and the rest of the OU crew. Here’s a couple juicy highlights, just in case you don’t have time to listen to the entire epic 2 1/4 hour show:
- There will NOT be any actual fire effects or animatronic dragons inside the Gringotts ride.
- Knockturn Alley may include interactive window effects (like a skeleton that falls apart and can be reassembled one bone at a time) triggered by new electronic wands.
- During the Gringotts ride, your vehicle will be attacked by giant trolls (not goblins, as erroneously reported on another website) that will shake your car.
- The Gringotts ride climax (“scene 7”) features a 360-degree video dome, Kuka robotic arms, and a tire-driven launch.
- There is at least one more store located in Diagon Alley (between the ice cream shop and the north train station) that has not yet been revealed.
Subscribe to our Universal Orlando Crowd Calendar to get the best Universal Orlando wait-time data and touring plans, and check back soon for the next Wizarding World of Harry Potter construction update!