Lost & Found at Walt Disney World

IMG_1248

You’ll know you’re there when you see this sign.

As we were walking out to our car this weekend my hubby said one of those things he always regrets, he casually asked if I thought a building was Lost & Found for all of Walt Disney World. I stopped in my tracks and observed a shabby building that in my mind was still the kennel at the Transportation and Ticket Center. Of course, I knew better. Best Friends Pet Care opened years ago, making kennels a thing of the past. However, even after walking past this building a hundred times I never realized this is where I should head if I ever misplaced something while in the parks. I figured if I didn’t know, lots of you out there likely could use some information on the subject. So with that in mind here’s everything you need to know about Lost & Found at Walt Disney World.

The first thing to remember about Lost & Found is that timing matters. If you realize quickly that you’re missing something, it’s smart to retrace your steps and hope that a cast member hasn’t sent your item away yet. But if you don’t notice for a while, it’s smart to head to Guest Relations instead. Any items lost in the parks are brought to Guest Services to hold for same-day pickups only. However, if you don’t realize until later, or if your item isn’t recovered until after park closing, that’s where things get interesting! At the end of each day, all items recovered from the four theme parks, two water parks, Downtown Disney, and all Disney transportation vehicles are sent to the one and only Theme Parks Lost & Found.

IMG_1250

See? I wasn’t kidding. It’s shabby, right?

To find Lost & Found at Walt Disney World, simply head to the Transportation and Ticket Center and then follow signs for walking to the parking lot. Just past the gift shop, you’ll see the building pictured on your left. It is open everyday but closes at 7pm, so you’ll have to leave the parks a bit early to visit. If you’d like to call about your item, the Lost & Found phone number is 407-824-4245. If your item hasn’t made it to lost & found yet, you’re able to file a report from this location so the cast members know to keep an eye out for it. Don’t lose heart if you have to file a report and leave empty handed. I’ve heard amazing stories about items being returned long after their owners returned home. (Have you had an experience with pixie dust bringing something home you’d thought you’d lost forever? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!)

That covers most situations, but there are a few other locations to talk about. If you’ve lost an item at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel, you’ll need to head to Guest Relations at your resort. Each hotel operates and maintains its own Lost & Found services. The ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex also operates its own Lost & Found service. If you’ve lost something at the Wide World of Sports, you’ll need to head to the WWoS Welcome Center. Lastly, remember that the Magical Express isn’t actually owned or operated by Disney. If you’ve forgotten something on the Magical Express and you notice quickly, call 866-599-0951. Otherwise, call Mears at 407-423-5566 for assistance locating your item.

Disney World is very diligent about holding on to things and trying to return them to the proper owners. Lost & Found holds retains valuable items (credit cards, identification, electronics, etc.) for 90 days before discarding them. Less valuable items such as souvenirs, stuffed animals, clothing, etc. are discarded if not claimed within 30 days. (Well, technically anything that isn’t sensitive or personal is sent to Property Control, a store for Disney employees. But that is a story for another day!)

On the flip side, if you find something that has been lost in the parks, please return it to the closest cast member. I often see lost clothing set on top of trash can and planters. It’s unlikely that a person who dropped this item will happen back that way to find it. If you turn the item in to a Disney employee, there is a much better chance that the owner will ultimately find it.

That’s everything you need to know about Lost & Found at Walt Disney World! Do you have any advice for folks that might lose something? Have you lost something in the parks before? Have you found something that you couldn’t believe someone had lost? I’d love to hear about your experiences in the comments below, and as always thanks for reading!

Posted on March 19, 2014

33 Responses to “Lost & Found at Walt Disney World”

• I recently rec’d a post card in the mail from Art of Animation stating that I lost something. So I called they looked up my info and I left 2 pieces of clothing in my room. I didn’t even know! They said they are sending it to me complimentary! Disney is AWESOME!

• I dropped my brand new camera in tomorrow land. I realized it when I wanted to take a picture at meet and greet in Fantasy Land. I quickly retraced my steps and sure enough a cast member had found it. He left his Keiosk and brought me to the store in Tommirow Land where a cast member made a few calls. I had just missed the central pick up. My camera was on a trolly headed to Guest Services at the front if the park. It wouldn’t be there until closing. Amazingly I arrived an hour before closing and a friendly cast member asked me what the last picture I took was. I remembered and the camera was mine. I was relieved and surprised that a brand new camera was not stolen, but returned in the exact condition that I lost it. A Truly a Magical Place!

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:24 pm EDT

Hi Jaime! I’m so glad they found your camera and got it back to you! What a great story – thanks for sharing.

• We had an amazing experience with Disneyland’s lost an found! My dad left his very expensive camera under his seat on Soarin’ and didn’t realize it until very late at night when lost and found was closed! He was a nervous wreck all night and morning until I could call! My brother and I kept assuming him… “It’s Disney, Dad, they’ll have it in lost and found!” All the while praying we were right! Sure enough, I called that morning and they asked me questions ranging from were and what time we lost it and then proceeded with questions about what pictures we had taken. I described what was in the pictures and then they asked “was it a special occasion?” And sure enough… It was my daughters birthday and she was wearing a birthday pin! After meeting their requirements of describing when, where, what kind, and what types of pics were on the camera, they released the camera to us! I was extremely impressed! But, it’s Disney! They never disappoint in my book!

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:26 pm EDT

Hi Renee! I’m so glad your Dad got his camera back. I’m always so crazy about holding onto mine when I’m in the parks. Sounds like i don’t have to worry so much! Thanks for sharing.

• One of our family trips my DD lost her Autograph book in one of the parks. We had park hopped that day so we were not sure in which park she had lost the book. She was devastated as it had some of her favorite autographs from that trip. We asked at Guest Services on our way out of the park we were in, but they didn’t have it. Thankfully we had written her name and mailing address in the book, and a couple of weeks after our trip we received it in the mail (we live in Canada). I called the lost and found department at WDW to thank them and they said they will always mail home (even internationally) any articles that have an address on them.
    Now I always label my camera and other expensive item on our trip so if they get lost, WDW will send them home to me!

• On the last day of our trip our daughter who was 11 at the time left her journal either at Magic Kingdom or on the monorail. We didn’t realize it was missing until we got home. I called right away and was able to describe some journal entries and character autographs. We were amazed when it came in the mail only a few days later. We truly believe in Disney lost and found magic!

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:27 pm EDT

Hi Mel – that is great!! I’m so glad she got her journal back. Thanks for sharing your magical story!

• by Ramona Brewer on March 19, 2014, at 7:44 am EDT

On a visit to Animal Kingdom, my daughter left her baby Nala stuffed animal at the Lion King show. We realized it as we were leaving the park … no luck retracing steps. We told a cast member who helped us look in every gift shop around for a replacement, and we could not find one exactly like it. My daughter was devastated. We left our contact number along with our Disney hotel and room number with the cast member. When we arrived back at our room that evening, there was Nala, along with a note from Snow White who said she had found her and brought her back. Truly Disney lost and found magic.

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:28 pm EDT

Oh, Ramona – this one made me tear up a little. How magical! I’m so glad she got her toy back and a pretty amazing memory to go with it!

• Not every incident ends in Disney magic. On our DCL cruise in December 2009, I lost my camera on debarkation day. The kids got sick at breakfast and in the rush to the bathroom and then hurrying off the ship, the camera was left sitting at the table in the dining room. We realized it as we were pulling into the Orlando Airport rental car return. On the camera were not only our cruise pictures, but a weeks worth of pics at Disney AND…..our Disney Cruise Wedding. Totally irreplacable. Called Disney Lost and Found, DCL customer service, even our wedding planner to contact the coordinator on board. No luck. I even got to speak with the Head Waiter in the restuarant that morning. The camera was never returned to us.

• Backups, backups, backups.

I know internet connectivity on a cruise is not really an option just to back up photos. But definitely at the parks with free wifi. You can have photos go over the wifi directly to cloud storage.

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:31 pm EDT

Aw, Jennifer, that is terrible. I’ve heard things like this about DCL before. A couple years ago there was a guest that lost an iphone that wasn’t recovered. When she returned home her photostream started filling with photos of a DCL employee!! Only after she made the photos public was she able to get her phone back. Unreal!

And Ron – I’m just not cool enough for that! :) Even my DSLR has wireless and I’m still backing up manually. I suppose I should really learn.

• I always have the fear of losing my camera – so I carry enough memory to have about a card per day. I label each card A – F (I carry 6) so that each night I can switch out cards and keep the used ones safely stowed away in my room. Also – if a card goes corrupt (This is more of a when then an if) I just lose one day worth of images not a whole vacation. Memory is cheap – there are 16 gb class 10 SD Cards on Amazon for $12 – which is a pretty nice card. This give me more of a piece of mind – for a lost camera or a memory card failure.

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:32 pm EDT

Haha, Crystal!! I’m not the only one. This is my decidedly low tech solution too. My hubby thinks I’m nuts. Thanks for sharing!

• In one trip, I managed to lose 2 hats, managed to recover both at the main lost and found a couple days later. It was a good thing my wife had pics of me wearing both on her camera. On the other hand, I had a guest who I brought down with me sort of abuse/risk the Disney good fortune. We had were heading to MK and it was raining, but just after we arrived it stopped and he didn’t want to haul the rain coat around the rest of the day and was too cheap to rent a locker, so he left it hanging on the bench outside guest relations and went back to say he lost it at the end of the day, sure enough, they had it. Lots of disappointing head shakes and muttering that day.

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:33 pm EDT

Hi David- glad you got your hats back! I have to admit the guest with the rain coat is kinda brilliant. Sneaky, but brilliant!!

• Back in 2007, I found a brand new copy of “The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World” :) just sitting on a railing in front of Primeval Whirl! I gave it to a cast member at the ride. I sure hope someone got their book back.

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:35 pm EDT

Wow, Mary, you’re a saint! I don’t know if I could have resisted something so awesome. I’m glad you returned it. I’m sure a frantic owner was LOST without it!! ;) Thanks for sharing!

• Lost and Found is amazing, particularly with wallets and credit cards. My mom left her credit card at a counter in Epcot. When we retrieved it two days later, it had a note saying left at counter, found by employee almost immediately. This was nice information because my mom did not have to close the card.

IMPORTANT NOTE: She also lost her fancy water bottle. Bottles and food containers are thrown out after 24 hours. Due to possible food poisoning. So she was not able to get the bottle back.

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:36 pm EDT

Hi Julia- that is great information. Thanks for sharing! They didn’t mention that to me at lost & found. That is really good to know!

• I found a fellows wallet in Hollywood studios in the smoking area. The minute I found it, I ran over the Indiana Jones stunt area and gave it to a cast member. About 15 minutes later, he was looking for it and I said, I found your wallet it’s over with someone at Indiana Jones. I lost my drivers license in Disneyland so the next day, my birthday, I was at lost and found. Got it back and was so pleased

• by Daisy Lauren on March 19, 2014, at 12:38 pm EDT

Hi Kerry – that is great! I’m sure they were so thankful you found it. I’m glad you got your drivers license back. I’m always worried we’ll use ours and have trouble getting on the plane back home. Thanks for sharing!

• I lost my iphone in the parks and used the find my iphone app to attempt to recover it. It could not be found. A Castmember informed me that was actually good news, as CM’s are instructed to turn the phone off immediately upon finding or receiving it. I used the same app to put a call back number on should someone find the phone. I went to central lost and found fairly early the next morning. They had the phone and turned it on to look for the list message. When I went to claim it she said they saw the message but had not yet had a chance to call. I will admit to panicking when I realized the phone had been turned of and was not findable by the app…who knew that was actually a good sign?!?

• My husband and I had traveled to the TTC by monorail from Epcot and then caught the other monorail to the Poly. We arrived and headed to the bar to have a drink and relax. After we finished and started to head out again, I realized I didn’t have my fanny pack. I panicked and notified the monorail attendant, and they hopped right on the phone and were able to locate my fanny pack. Some kind soul had found it on the first monorail and was headed to Epcot, so they turned it in to the lost and found there. Within 30 minutes, my fanny pack was delivered by monorail back to me at the Poly with everything intact ( ID, money, credit card, medications and annual pass.) I really want to thank the individual and the Disney Staff for helping me when I really felt helpless!

• Disney is nothing short of amazing!!
    My most important find, my son left his “bangy” (blanket) on a Disney bus when returning with my husband from Magic Kingdom. When I returned later, I found out and headed to lost and found. The cast members had just logged it in after the bus driver had dropped it off!
    Once I left a duffle bag in the hotel room and Disney mailed it back to me–no charge!!
    My mom left her glasses in her hotel room once and one day they magically appeared in the mail.
    Who does it better than Disney?????

• Many years ago on a special Disney World vacation with my two boys, we enjoyed a very special night watching Illuminations at EPCOT. after returning to our hotel room later that evening, I realized my new gold charm bracelet (the “old fashioned kind, not a “Pandora”) was gone. I immediately called Lost & Found. Nothing was found, but they encouraged me to call again in the morning… which I did. Now this was a beautiful 14k gold bracelet with 5 charms representing my two beautiful boys. I was devastated. When I called in the morning, no such bracelet had been found. Later that night, I called one last time despite everyone telling me to “let it go”. The CM asked me to describe the bracelet which of course was very unique and I was able to identify each and every charm. They told me to pick it up the next morning!!! Once I had it back, the very next charm added was a beautiful crystal Mickey icon… truly a “good luck charm”, and a better clasp! :-)

• My mom lost her cane somewhere between the bus stop at Pop Century and her hotel room. We spoke to the woman in charge of Lost and told her what it looked like and gave her my mom’s address. Within a week it was mailed back to her house! I thought it was pretty cool that they mailed a walking cane to New Jersey since it’s kind of big and awkward. My mom was so happy!

• My son left a ball cap on the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom. This was actually a “Disneyland” cap. He noticed it right away and we told the ride operators but even after waiting they could not find the cap. They gave us the card for lost and found, I had called them the next day to report the loss. They actually found the cap, called me back and let me know exactly where to pick it up. So when we went back to collect it, it was no problem at all. So dont give up hope that your item is lost. :)