April 22, 2014: Magic Kingdom Observations and FastPass+ Fun

It’s been a while since I’ve taken you guys with me on one of my after work weeknight adventures and I thought we were due for a few magical hours in the Magic Kingdom. Taking a look at the photo below you can tell the crowds certainly haven’t cleared out from Easter yet! I was worried we wouldn’t get the most out of the night because it was so busy. But I managed to snag some great FastPass+ times that I’m excited to tell you about! Unfortunately, if you take a look at the clock in the photo below you’ll see that I was going to be late for my first FastPass+ reservation that expired at 6:45pm. Eek! Let’s hurry!

IMG_2131

Luckily, even though I was a solid 10 minutes late for my appointment with the Haunted Mansion they let us through with no issue. I’ve heard you can be up to 15 minutes late for a FastPass+ and 5 minutes early without getting into trouble. I’m glad they let us in because I was able to get this photo of the grave digger. He’s still a little out of focus but this is the closest I’ve gotten to a decent photo of him. He’s sort of my white whale of photography!! ;)

IMG_2144

Oh – and these guys wanted to say hello too. They said something about following you home…

IMG_2152

After the Haunted Mansion we decided to wonder over to It’s A Small World thinking that it would have a short line. Wow, was I surprised to find the wait at 25 minutes! Just across the street was a 70 minute wait at Peter Pan. Being a TouringPlans gal there’s no way I’m waiting in lines like that! We decided to move right through Fantasyland and onto Tomorrowland where Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover consistently has one of the fastest moving lines in the park. Boy am I going to miss it when it goes down for refurbishment soon. (You can find a full list of refurbishments here.) Anyone remember where you can find the below scene?

IMG_2157

When we finished our spin around the highway in the sky we were just in time for our Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin FastPass+. It was right next door so we scanned our magic bands and were on in a flash. I took several pictures while on the ride, but I liked this one the best. It looks like Zurg is reaching out to pinch that target!

IMG_2164

When we exited the ride I was totally drawn to the sunset. I love this time of year when I can get to the park after work and still watch the sun sink down behind the castle. There’s just nothing more beautiful! Now since I hadn’t brought a tripod with me there was no way to correctly expose the castle and still catch the bright colors in the sky. I decided to leave the castle a shadow. I thought about photoshopping out the streetlamps, but I think they add depth. What do you think?

IMG_2166

After my hubby was able to drag me away from the setting sun we went to see his favorite attraction: Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor. They tried something I hadn’t seen before that was really fun! Rather than the two headed monster telling people about different cities (the Eiffel Tower!), they told the story of the original Monsters Inc. with different people in the audience drafted to play the various roles. They picked the cutest little girl to play Boo! Everyone did a great job, and the audience roared with laughter! Needless to say, we generated enough giggle watts for Roz to open the doors!

IMG_2167

Next we headed over to the Tomorrowland Speedway. We scanned our magic bands at 8:22pm for our 8:25pm FastPass+ and got the dreaded flashing blue ring. It ends up that our FastPass+ was for 8:35pm. (Oops!) It’s so hard to keep all these times straight now! We killed a few minutes in Mickey Star Traders then headed back to ride with no issue. I think we end up in this shop so often because I’m mesmerized by this light fixture!

IMG_0475

It was so dark outside that my Speedway photos weren’t worth sharing. Next we visited The Magic Carpets of Aladdin with absolutely no wait at all! Knowing that the photos had been lame from the Speedway I took video. Sadly, it ended up equally lame and dark! :( You’ll just have to take my word that The Magic Carpets were extra magical and so much fun to ride! Afterward we decided it wasn’t a visit to Adventureland without a dole whip! Did you know you can get pineapple and orange swirled together? Look closely – it’s the best!

IMG_2171

So are you still reading? If so boy do I have a treat for you! After we finished our dole whips it was just 20 minutes until the fireworks so I decided to grab a spot in the Swiss Family Treehouse. Now, this spot has a very obstructed view and the music is not piped in, so it isn’t for everyone. But what it lacks it makes up for with privacy. I almost never have to share this spot. Imagine your own fireworks viewing perch high up in a tree. And if you take a look at the photo below the view isn’t half bad either!

IMG_2193

After the fireworks ended we ran over to Pirates of the Caribbean for a quick ride with no wait. The timing was really off on the cannonball explosions after the drop. We caught every single one and I was soaked! At least Captain Jack was looking good!

IMG_2198

We could have had our pick of any ride in the park, everything was a walk on wait. I had my sights set on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh so we set off in that direction. Imagine how bummed I was when they were evacuating the ride as we walked up. We decided to just stroll out of the park rather than backtracking into Fantasyland. We looked in at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train but there wasn’t anything to see. No cars were testing so it was just the same boring mountain it has been. As we crossed the bridge Celebrate the Magic was firing off finale fireworks. It was my very own kiss goodnight!

IMG_2207

I’ll spare you the details on the boring trip back to the car. I will say since there was a second parade just 15 minutes later it was an easy trip exiting the park. Does anyone have any questions about our night in the park? I have a question for you. I tend to only show the pretty things and skip construction type updates in the park. Would you guys like to see that? Let me know so I can bring you what you’d like to see! :) Also, what would you guys like to see next? Any requests? I’d love to hear from you in the comment below. As always thanks for reading!

Posted on April 28, 2014

35 Responses to “April 22, 2014: Magic Kingdom Observations and FastPass+ Fun”

• Thanks for your post. Very envious of people who live in a Disney City. Can’t imagine how cool it would be to pop into a park after work. It’s at least a 14 hour flight for us to pop into Disneyland and 22 hours for disneyworld! I get to be transported with your post.

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:31 pm EDT

Hi Jenny – wow! You are far away! Where are you? Our flights to Tokyo this fall are only 19hr.

• That’s the same for me, Australia is so far away! But it’s totally worth the travel for me. Can’t wait to do it again in September.

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 6:01 pm EDT

Oh, Australia! Thanks Bec! That’s the next place my hubby is talking about after Tokyo. Wow, what a flight!! I’m excited to visit your beautiful country, though. I can’t believe people are reading from Australia – that is amazing!! G’day! ;)

September is SUCH a great time to visit. Here is a report from last year: http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/09/12/magic-kingdom-crowd-report-september-11-2013/

• I do hope you’re visiting Tokyo Disneyland while your there. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it’s pretty amazing (but what Disney park isn’t!) and of course Tokyo is pretty good as well.
          The countdown is on and it can’t come around soon enough! I’ve already started making my autograph book :)

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 9:17 pm EDT

We’re negotiating to see how many days of the trip my hubby can coax me away from TDL! ;) I can’t wait! Shellie May here I come!

Let me know if there is anything you’d like to see from WDW. I normally post a couple times a week and I love requests! It’s so fun to share my favorite place!

• It sucks being so far away doesn’t it!!

• by Deborah Ragno on April 28, 2014, at 8:13 am EDT

I don’t think you need to post construction photos. I see enough of them already. I sure did enjoy this write up — all positive for a change. It seems everyone writes negative stuff and your report was a refreshing breath of fresh air. I’m hoping for a solo trip one day and your Treehouse viewpoint is something I would love to do.

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:34 pm EDT

Hey Deborah! I’m with you – I just would rather see something more fun than construction photos. I love going to WDW alone but now that I have the chance to go to DL it just doesn’t sound like as much fun. I’m sure I’ll love it once I get there! ;) Hope you get your solo trip “real soon”!

• The two headed monster from Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor are Sam and Ella :)

• Did u have these FPP prior to getting to the park or did u make them upon entering?

• Where in the treehouse did you stand?

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:36 pm EDT

Hey Beth – the best was I can describe it is that there are two landings where you can see the castle. Not the first one on your way up but the second one. Remember – it is not the best view by a long shot! But it’s fun!

• Love your post! We’re heading to MK on Thursday, our first day of a week-long holiday at WDW.
    Can you recommend a good spot for the parade and fireworks? We have two kids, ages 7 and 4. Haven’t been able to snag a FPP for these events. Thanks!

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:49 pm EDT

Hey Kerry- so disclaimer, this is not TouringPlans approved.. just my opinion. First – make sure those kids get a good nap so you make it to the fireworks! :)

I wouldn’t blow FP+ on parade or fireworks. Plus if you book one of these you can’t get extra fastpasses that are allowed with the new system. If you’ve never seen the fireworks the view on Main Street is the way to see everything. Don’t get too close in front of the castle – get about half way back on Main Street so you can see everything.

If you aren’t too fussed with the “perfect view” I would recommend behind the castle in Fantasyland. Near the new castle walls are perfect. The big fireworks will go off sort of above beast’s castle and the smaller ones will fire on the two sides of the castle. So you’ll be right in the middle of it all.

For the parade Frontierland is normally the best bet. It is always easier on nights with two parades because the 2nd is less popular. Hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a GREAT trip!!

• Thanks, Daisy! Great tips! And yes, we will fully e,brace the mid-day nap! We are all so excited and it’s our first trip to WDW. I assume the fireworks are rain or shine? The forecast is calling for rain later this week on Thurs and Fri. Cheers!

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 9:11 pm EDT

Hey Kerry – unlike Disneyland where the fireworks are cancelled if a butterfly sneezes (ok- I’m bitter that it always seems to happen on my trips) we are TOUGH at Disney World! They do everything imaginable to get those fireworks off every single night. I’ve seen them keep the park open late waiting out a storm. Unless it’s raining sideways all night long you’ll get to see Wishes. :)

And two tips:
          1) The weather is never correct more than 24 hrs in advance here. Keep a close eye on that forecast. It will very likely change.

2) If you’re lucky enough to get rain – get your poncho ready and go for it! The parks empty out in the rain. That is why I head *toward* the park in a storm! :)

HAVE THE BEST TRIP EVER!!

• Hey Daisy – what about some resort tours? I know this site has some great videos and info about most of the resorts, but I’d like to see a walk through Animal Kingdom lodge or some of the resorts I don’t see that often, perhaps with a restaurant review. We always stay at Port Orleans (love it!), but I also enjoy our day out of parks when we check out some of the other places.

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:50 pm EDT

Hey Leslie – I love the resort tour idea! Ironically, I’m working on a restaurant review now. :) Thanks for the great ideas. You know I always use them!

• by daffystardust on April 28, 2014, at 1:06 pm EDT

Great job getting the photo of the caretaker! He is difficult to shoot. I went to the Halloween party dressed as him last year.
    How about a series of photos of the most comfortable/relaxing places to sit in the park?

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:51 pm EDT

Hey Daffy – that is a a great idea!! Hmm… but do I give away the location of “my” bench at the Studios… ;)

I bet your costume was great. What a good idea! I’m still trying to figure out if I want to be a hero or a villain for the 24hr party.

• by Vanessa Schomberg on April 28, 2014, at 1:36 pm EDT

Hi Daisy! I really missed you and your blogs the last days. Great job again and by the way, I always read your whole blogs. From the beginning till the end and I love them all. :) I’m not the biggest fan about construction stuff and updates, but sometimes it’s very interesting to see the process going on. So if you like, I would be happy to read about those things too. Glad you and your hubby had a great night at the Magic Kingdom. Can’t wait to read more from you and thanks as always! :)

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:53 pm EDT

Hey Vanessa! I’m always over here plugging away but I don’t schedule when things post so sometimes there are gaps. Don’t worry – I’m not leaving you! ;) I have a couple that I’m typing up tonight. Thanks for commenting! Love to see you here!

• I love these fun “walkaround” blogs! It’s just like being there with you. At the risk of sounding super annoying and teacher-like, the word you’re looking for “wander,” not “wonder,” when you’re going from place to place. :-)

Thanks for another blog. Love the pictures!

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 5:55 pm EDT

Aaahhh – Ashley! I bet my mom has been reading these wanting to correct me like crazy! Haha! Thanks for the info and kind words. I’d always rather be corrected and get it right next time. Thanks again!! :)

• You mentioned in your post about Adventureland not having the fireworks music piped in. What areas of the parks do have the music that are alternatives to watching on Main Street?

• by Daisy Lauren on April 28, 2014, at 6:07 pm EDT

Hi Bec… oh I could do a whole post on that! :) I will say, I think the music is piped into Adventureland just not into the Treehouse. It was tough to hear much of anything up there. But the view in Adventureland is really minimal.

For anyone that doesn’t visit regularly the best spots are:
      - Main Street
      - Behind the castle
      - Along the water in Frontierland
      - Ferry boat doc at TTC

I think you’ve given me a really good article idea! I can show the “normal” views above and some of the weird spots I’ve found after going all these years. Thanks!! :)

• Can you explain how the new braclets work that have tur room key on them too? R these the same as the passes you can buy at undercover tourist? Would u trust buying from them? Thanks we r having our first trip there this July!!!

• by Daisy Lauren on April 30, 2014, at 1:46 pm EDT

Hey Karen! Sadly – it is pretty complicated. I’ve never purchased from undercover tourist (or anyone other than Disney directly). If undercover tourist can’t answer those questions for you, I would personally shy away from purchasing from them.

The bracelets will only work at a Walt Disney World hotel so you wouldn’t need to worry about it if you’re staying off property.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have other questions. :)

• I enjoyed ‘visiting’ with you on your trip! Sounds like my kind of DW evening. We have an annual pass for the first time, but live in NC. When we were there in March, we popped in for the evening several times and enjoyed a relaxed park visit. Unfortunately, we never made it out to Tom Sawyer’s Island. I would love to see some pics from there since I haven’t been in awhile. And my most favorite spot is at Sleepy Hollow, sitting beside the castle, eating a strawberry covered waffle. :) It wasn’t quite as nice this last trip with the moat construction, but I still loved it. Another favorite spot of my family is the arcade. Its never too crowded and is a fun place to hang out until your FP time for Big Thunder. And how about some of the new clown acts near Dumbo? They were great. And so colorful.