This Saturday, August 23, is the first ever Villains Unleashed, taking place at Disney’s Hollywood Studios from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. The event, which celebrates the love that people have for the Disney bad guys and gals, is sure to be a fun-filled evening for those who attend. There will be over 50 different characters, dance parties, fireworks, special shows, unique food and shopping, and much more!
So, let’s get into the full details about this event so that those of you who will be attending have a better idea of what to expect.
While the event begins at 8:00 p.m., guests may begin to arrive as early at 5:00 p.m. and still be allowed entry. Those already in the park may obtain party passes at either Soundstage One (where Wandering Oaken’s currently is) or at the Epic Theater.
Guests driving to the park who are attending the Villains Unleashed party will need to use the Main Entrance off World Drive to for event parking. The secondary parking entrance located on Buena Vista Drive will be closed to all incoming traffic beginning at 3:00 p.m. Standard parking fees apply.
The evening will include many activities throughout the night. They are:
- Hades Hangout: The main villain of ceremonies will be there to get the party started and keep it rocking all night long. Hades will be joined by Meg, Pain, and Panic. The dance party will also feature house band Bernie Briquette and Brimstone, as well as DJ Igg Nite and the Underworld Dancers. (8:00 p.m. through 1:00 a.m.)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party: Taking place at Stage 5 in the Animation Courtyard, the dance party will feature awesome tunes, as well as appearances from both Star-Lord and Gamora. (Note: they will likely not be mingling with guests.) The dance party is scheduled from 8:00 p.m. to 12:45 a.m.
- Oogie Boogie’s Freaky Funhouse Show: Takes place at the Theater of The Stars (where Beauty and The Beast – Live on Stage is performed.) This one night only show features Mr. Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas presenting a production of extreme performances. Showtimes are 8:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m., and 11:30 p.m.
- Fantasmic! with special pre-show: as guests head up Sunset Boulevard, a gang of villainous henchmen, called the Night Crawlers, will tempt you to join them for a special pre-show for Fantasmic!, The pre-show begins at 9:35 p.m., and Fantasmic! will begin at 10:00 p.m.
- Villainy in the Sky Fireworks: Hades summons Maleficent to show off what she can do in this fantastic fireworks spectacular. The fireworks will take place at 12:45 a.m. Also, the Glow With The Show ear hats will work with this spectacular.
- Villains Dominion: This is the opportunity to meet some of your favorite characters. Some characters will have set-up meet and greet opportunities, while others will be roaming freely. For those who are looking for autographs, the characters will be handing out pre-autographed cards. Also, roaming characters aren’t guaranteed to pose for photos. Here is where you will likely find your favorites:
- Barbossa (Pirates of the Caribbean – meets until 11:30 p.m.) – Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow
- Bowler Hat Guy (Meet the Robinsons) – Streets of America
- Captain Gantu (Lilo and Stitch) – Streets of America
- Constatine (Muppets Most Wanted) – Near Muppet-Vision 3D
- Cruella de Vil (101 Dalmatians) – Streets of America
- Dr Facilier (The Princess and the Frog) – Streets of America
- Dr Hamsterviel (Lilo and Stitch)- Streets of America
- Jafar (Aladdin) – Streets of America
- Maleficient (Maleficent movie version – meets until 11:30 p.m.) Animation Courtyard
- The Queen (Snow White) – Streets of America
- Yu (Mulan) – Streets of America
- The Witch (Snow White) – Sunset Blvd
The Dark Side:
- Darth Maul – Star Tours area
- Boba Fett – Near Backlot Express
- Darth Vader – Star Tours event stage area
- Stormtroopers – Star Tours area
- Emperor Palpatine and Royal Guards – Outside Sci-Fi Drive In
- Captain Hook (Peter Pan)
- Mr. Smee (Peter Pan)
- Queen of Hearts (Alice in Wonderland)
- Big Bad Wolf
- Governor Ratcliffe (Pocahontas)
Streets of America
- Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
- Judge Claude Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
- Lady Tremaine (Cinderella)
- Anastasia (Cinderella)
- Drizella (Cinderella)
- Prince John (Robin Hood)
- Sherriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood)
- J Worthington Foulfellow (Pinocchio)
- Gideon (Pinocchio)
- Stromboli (Pinocchio)
Star Tours area
- Zam Wesell
- Aurra Sing
- Tusken Raiders
- Asajj Ventress
- Jango Fett
- Gamorrean Guard
Epic Stunt Theater area
- Shenzi (The Lion King)
- Banzai (The Lion King)
- Ed (The Lion King)
- Br’er Fox
- Br’er Bear
- The Great Movie Ride (Until 11:15 p.m.)
- Muppet Vision 3D
- Rock n Roller Coaster
- Star Tours
- Tower of Terror
- Toy Story Mania (Until 11:30 p.m.)
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Event logo merchandise will include both women’s and men’s T-shirts, a limited-release pin and a water bottle. Merchandise can be purchased at The Prop Shop found near The Studios Backlot Tour.
Food and Beverage
Various locations will be serving the villain-themed hot dogs and a Maleficent cupcake – dark chocolate cake filled with a decadent blackberry filling topped with smooth blackberry buttercream.
At Club Evil in The Hollywood Brown Derby, the Disney chefs will offer small plate menu items such as “Cruellas Devious Eyes” – fresh mozzarella with ugly ripe tomato spheres, balsamic gelée and basil oil powder; “The Queen of Hearts famous ‘Off with their heads’”!, which is deviled eggs, pig crackling and a garlic chili gelée and lobster custard with Tobiko caviar and citrus oil. For beverage options, there will be the non-alcoholic option called “Pain and Panic Punch,” which is apple juice, Monin pomegranate, Monin vanilla topped with soda water.
Guests are allowed to come dressed as their favorite Disney villain or they can take part in an “Ex-Scream” Makeover and get their face painted to look just like one of the Disney Villains! Do keep in mind that all costumes must adhere to any guidelines as determined solely by Disney. Please choose costumes that are not obstructive, offensive or violent. In addition, a guests’ eyes must be visible at all times.
This event looks to be a special evening for all who attend! I’ll make sure to keep you posted on any future developments.