Drinking Around the World!

On my last trip I was on a mission to drink around the world at Epcot’s World Showcase.  I originally thought I would split the countries in half because my 5’1” frame couldn’t handle eleven drinks in one shot.  Well, due to several issues, my friends and I wound up accomplishing this goal in three tries.  So with that in mind, I’ll write three blogs about the offerings in each pavilion.  First let me introduce you to the drinkers.  There was me:  your favorite 20-something Disney blogger who of course only drinks for research purposes.  Tom the Brit was along for the entire expedition and focused on beer.  Julie was with us for most of the journey and liked to mix it up from country to country.  And Don joined us for some of the countries since he’s an Orlando local and had to go to his pesky job during some of our escapades.

First up we hit Mexico.  After taking a spin on El Rio del Tiempo we made a trip to the famous Margarita Stand.  This booth offers five different flavors of frozen margaritas: lime, strawberry, mango, green apple, and fiesta which is a sampling of each.  They were out of mango and I wasn’t interested in green apple so that ruled out the fiesta.  Julie and I both got the strawberry and Don got the lime.  They put a sugar rim on the cup, rather than salt for a sweet treat.  Tom opted to get a XX from Catina de San Angel since he prefers beer.  We hung out in the seating area outside the quick service eatery and we all enjoyed our drinks.  It was a nice start to the festivities.

Next we headed over to the United Kingdom.  We actually were more focused on getting fish and chips for dinner, but decided to take the opportunity to grab a pint as well.  There is a stand outside the Rose and Crown pub which serves Bass Ale and Harp Lager.  Drinkers can also head inside for a wider selection of beers, ales, and ciders.  We all chose the Harp this time to go with our fish.  I’m always a fan of Harp and it’s usually what I get when drinking with Tom the Brit in his home pavilion.  Maybe next time we’ll take the time to hang out in the pub for a while.

We headed back over to France next.  This pavilion’s Les Vins des Chefs de France kiosk offers several alcoholic selections.  Guests can chose from several wines, champagnes, and “specialty drinks.”  Julie and I both love the specialty drinks so we already knew we were getting those when we arrived at Epcot that day.  There is either a Grand Mariner Orange Slush or the Grey Goose Citron Lemon Slush.  I’ve had both and really, really, really like both (especially on a hot day), but this time we both decided to have the Lemon Slush.  The guys stuck with beer and the only offering was Kronenbourg 1644 which they said was so-so.

Last up for that day was a stop in Canada before Illuminations.  Canada is one of our favorite spots to take in the night time spectacular so it seemed like a good place to end our first leg of drinking around the world.  There is a stand offering several snacks as well as beer.  We all got the Moosehead to enjoy during the fireworks.  Later in the week we learned the Canada pavilion is the only place outside of actual Canada Moosehead is available on tap.  I have to say this was one of my favorite beers around the World.  I can also highly recommend finishing up a day at WDW in Canada drinking a Moosehead with great friends during Illuminations.

Next week I’ll continue discussing my trek around World Showcase with drinks in hand…

photo by James Ellsworth

Kristen Helmstetter

Kristen Helmstetter is an Unofficial Guide researcher who will share her 20-something perspective of all things Walt Disney World with blog readers. Kristen’s email address is khelmstetter05@yahoo.com. You can also follow her on Twitter: @khelmstetter.

15 thoughts on “Drinking Around the World!

• June 17, 2009 at 10:22 am

I’ve always wanted to do the drink around the world, but either it is too cost prohibitive or I don’t have the time or someone to do it with. But um sure one day I’ll do it.

• June 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm

It was fairly costly which I’ll discuss at some point in this series so i can totally understand that. You could always break it up over several trips. That way it won’t cost a lot in one shot and you could probably convince someone to have a drink or two rather than 11. You’re always welcome to join our montly crew if we’re there at the same time. We’re already discussing round 2!

• June 17, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Last time I went to Orlando, the only day I spent in a Disney theme park was actually doing nothing but drinking around the world. We broke it up in the course of a single day by often sharing drinks among a couple of us. No need to drink an entire beer at each one.

• June 18, 2009 at 7:42 am

That’s also a good idea. Thanks for sharing it!

• June 20, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Kristen,
    You said your margaritas in Mexico were good but I would have to say the one I had was the most watered down, cheap Tequila version I have ever had. It was surprising considering how good everything else on our trip was. We enjoyed the beers at Biergarten and of course the Carlsberg beer in Norway. Maybe we just hit a bad day of margaritas in Mexico, or that I am used to better ones here in Texas, but unfortunately I would not go back and try a margarita in Mexico again.

• June 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm

hmmm maybe you hit it on a bad day? maybe i hit it on a good day? either way everyone’s got their favorites and the things they don’t like. thanks for the input! i’m a fan of Biergarten as well and I’m sure I’ll write about it in the future.

• July 18, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I had a couple margarita’s in mexico and they were awsome. Strong.

• September 23, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Hey everyone. We have a group that organizes the Drink Around the World Event in a big group-like fashion. Our site is http://www.comedrinkwith.us This will be our fifth year and last year we had about 100 people all go. Just a heads up for people who like to do it in a big social group.

• November 23, 2009 at 8:42 am

The man of virtue makes the difficulty to be overcome his first business, and success only a subsequent consideration.

• June 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

This excellent article encouraged me a lot! Bookmarked the site, extremely excellent topics just about everywhere that I see here! I like the info, thank you.

• February 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

constantly i used to read smaller posts that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this post which I am reading now.

• Pingback:Drinking Around the World… Again - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog

• Pingback:The Last Leg of Drinking Around the World - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog

• Pingback:The Bathroom Blog Part II: Epcot - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog