Heading to WDW; Studios Meetup Reminder

Hey folks! Just wanted to let people know that there will be TouringPlans.com representation in Walt Disney World this week. I–the website developer around here–will be hitting the parks August 24th-29th, focusing on how Extra Magic Hours affects wait times, compiling more data on non-headliner attractions in all the parks, and in general getting to the parks at rope drop every morning to pound the pavement. I’m also going to be attempting the infamous Ultimate Magic Kingdom Touring Plan on Thursday, when MK has Morning EMH and is open for a solid 14 hours of park operation.

I’ll be detailing my entire trip, including what is bound to be a pathetic attempt at Ultimate MK record, on the TouringPlans Twitter account. Be sure to ping me on twitter if you’re in the parks!

We’re also going to have an in-park meetup on Wednesday, August 26th, 5pm-6pm at the Backlot Express Restaurant at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. See the Facebook event page for more details. And just a reminder, super Unofficial Guide statistician Fred Hazelton will be in WDW the week of September 7th and is hosting a meetup of his own on the 9th.

See you in the parks!

Henry Work

Henry is the developer at TouringPlans.com, joining to work on the website and build Lines, among other things! Before joining the Unofficial Guide team, Henry was the lead developer at TechCrunch, one of the world's leading technology blogs. Though he would live at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort if he could, he's become a huge Disneyland fan since moving to the bay area. You find Henry on the TouringPlans Twitter account or contact him at henry@touringplans.com.

20 thoughts on “Heading to WDW; Studios Meetup Reminder

• August 23, 2009 at 1:19 am

An Ultimate MK attempt? Did that once, and boy it’ll be a very long time before I ever do that again! My poor feet! Spent the next week at the Orlando Convention Center in horrible pain at Microsoft TechEd. Note to self… Ultimate MK AFTER the conference, not before.

• August 23, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Uh oh–maybe I don’t know what I’m getting myself into 🙂 How far did you get, Scott?

• August 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm

This was back in 2005. I did everything with one exception. The Sword in the Stone ceremony wasn’t scheduled for the day I was there and TTA broke down late morning before I was scheduled to ride.

Took me 12 hrs 45 minutes. Small World had just opened after a major rehab and lines were crazy long. Tomorrowland Speedway was another huge time waster.

You can see the photographic evidence at http://tinyurl.com/kwodce

• August 23, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Awesome, Scott, thanks for the heads up!

• August 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I was on a great pace when I started thanks to heavy rain in the morning that kept crowds low. Eight attractions in the first hour, but I knew that wouldn’t last.

• August 23, 2009 at 7:39 am

We will be there the exact same dates as you but we will definitely NOT be attempting the Ultimate Magic Kingdom Touring Plan!! I have relatively low expectations for our trip due to the heat and humidity-we’ve never been in the summer. We’re mainly going to try out the waterparks.

Have fun!

• August 23, 2009 at 12:13 pm

For sure! We’re not big water park people (my Dad and I), but we’ll sure be trying to beat the heat whenever we can.

• August 23, 2009 at 7:42 am

You’re young. You can do it. I suggest a high-carb diet and Depends undergarments.

• August 23, 2009 at 12:15 pm

11 hours, 15 minutes. I’m just hoping I don’t get tempted into doing the Carousel of Progress marathon.

• August 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm

You think Len’s kidding about the Depends but he told me I couldn’t finish an Epcot touringplan because I put in too many bathroom breaks… you know instead of the 45-60 minutes sucked up by Ellen’s Energy Adventure it was my bladder that was the problem. good luck!

• August 23, 2009 at 8:57 am

You should have no problem finishing the Ultimate Plan in 14 hours, especially with EMH. It’s fun, and you don’t need to contend with Space Mountain or TTA right now. Say, “hi,” to the princesses for me. They like it when grown men who are alone come to get their autographs.

And don’t bother with the Depends. Just hold it until you need to spend 15 minutes on Tom Sawyer Island. There are two restrooms there.

• August 23, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Thanks for the pump up, David! Yeah, we’re just hoping for “completion” and “survival” at this point. Good point on Tom Sawyer’s Island!

• August 23, 2009 at 1:24 pm

also, just thinking about the Ultimate MK plan more, my guess is that the morning is a wait times game, the afternoon is a show time game, and the night is about survival.

i think probably the afternoon will be the craziest, especially to fit in all the shows and make sure you hit them efficiently. my guess is a lot of audibles like “ok we have X minutes before show Y, what can we do before then?”

• August 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm

You’ll have few problems with wait times unless there are ride malfunctions, slowdowns, or awful lines (Jungle Cruise could be bad if they’re not running FASTPASS since you don’t hit it super-early). The audibles begin if unexpected stuff happens and during the afternoon as you cram in remaining attractions around the scheduled parades and shows. I have some tips and other information about my attempt at http://tinyurl.com/m2t2q2. Have fun! I’m tempted to go down and join you, but I can’t this week.

• August 24, 2009 at 11:42 am

I brought breakfast and bottled water with me. I grabbed a late lunch at Casey’s and ate it during the 3:00 PM parade and on the Liberty Belle; castle shows (and now the parades) are good chances to eat since they stop and you have to stand and watch. I also grabbed a snack at some other point when I was killing time before a scheduled event started. You’ll probably have some dead time like that.

• August 24, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Seems like I will miss you as I am there 8/28 through 9/4; trying to convince family and friends to use touring plans and hope they listen at least for AK and MK; might be a little easier though as w/ kids we are going to have to skip some of the intense rides anyhow.

• August 24, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Any meets between September 16 and 23? I’ll be at WDW then…

• July 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Whoah this weblog is great i really like studying your posts. Keep up the great work! You know, many people are hunting around for this info, you could help them greatly.

• Pingback:Mini Trip Report: Rope Drop At The Animal Kingdom - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog