Whispering Canyon Cafe

Where can you verbally harassed and consistently embarrassed while you try to enjoy your dinner? The Whispering Canyon Cafe, of course!  Located off the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge this wild west themed restaurant will have you cheering for the pony races, laughing, and eating too much.  Guests saddle up for a good time and good eats at this fan favorite.

Great friends and great food

I have dined here several times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but most recently shared dinner with 28 of my closest friends at this rootin’ tootin’ establishment.  We were split into three tables since we had so many people.  We also were served by two cast members since we would have been a lot to handle on one’s own.  My table was probably the most rowdy and our server loved our mischievous ways.  We really played up the spirit of the restaurant and we had a blast.

Our napkins were delivered to our table via my friend's head!

Speaking of rowdy behavior guests who dine here should be forewarned that things can get a little wild at the Whispering Canyon Cafe.  While people might think they are coming for the food, the real star of the show at the Whispering Canyon Cafe is the wait staff.  Only here can your server literally throw napkins and straws at you and still get a big tip.  If you want see some of this fun in action be sure to ask your server for ketchup or a large drink and see what happens.  There are also various activities which could take place in the restaurant throughout your meal.  For example, if you have kids in your party they can participate in pony races around the dining area.  Please keep in mind that all of the hijinks at here are all in good fun and the more you play along the better experience you will have.  This is not the place for you if you are looking for a quiet, romantic dinner.

The beloved skillet

So what’s on the menu? There are several yummy options, many with southwestern flavors.  However, I highly recommend the “all you care to enjoy” skillet.  Trust me, get the skillet. Just do it. Different versions of the skillet are available to guests depending on the time of day.  Yes, I’ve had the all three versions of this tasty treat and I’m never disappointed.  The dinner skillet starts off with a salad before the main event.  When entrees are brought to the table those who have elected to try the skillet will be presented with a sampling of roasted chicken, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, mashed potatoes, baked beans, corn on the cob, coleslaw, and corn bread.  Wow, I’m full just typing out that list!  Not only are guests offered all of these options in their skillet, but your server will keep ’em coming as much as your waistline can handle.  Your server will periodically check to see if you would like more of anything throughout your meal.  Still hungry for more ribs or maybe you just would like some more corn bread?  No problem! Just ask and yee shall receive!

I can honestly say that I have never had room for dessert at the Whispering Canyon Cafe so I can’t attest to the quality of their sweets.  However, I can tell you that several of my friends decided to order the bottomless milkshake during their meal.  Several flavors are available and refills are unlimited.

Have you dined at the Whispering Canyon Cafe?  Let me know what some of your favorite menu items are as well as some funny cast member stories!

Next week I’ll share my plans for my upcoming trip to Walt Disney World…

Kristen Helmstetter

Kristen Helmstetter is an Unofficial Guide researcher who will share her 20-something perspective of all things Walt Disney World with blog readers. Kristen’s email address is khelmstetter05@yahoo.com. You can also follow her on Twitter: @khelmstetter.

24 thoughts on “Whispering Canyon Cafe

• September 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

Whispering Canyon Cafe is our favorite restaurant at Disney! We even celebrated our engagement with a meal here haha! Not the most romantic place but def a fun time 🙂 Looking forward to trying to breakfast on our next trip here.

• September 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I hope you enjoy your breakfast! My friend, Tom, and I did that once and really liked the breakfast version of the skillet. Have fun in December 🙂

• September 22, 2010 at 10:00 am

Yeah, WCC is a great restaurant. I hate going there on the dining plan because you get bottomless shakes AND dessert. I have to do 3 laps around World Showcase just to work it off.

• September 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I’m glad you like it too! I’ve never gone on the dining plan and I don’t think I could handle the shake even without the dessert. My friends who had it really liked the shake though. There’s no calories at WDW right?

• September 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

We love WCC, and on our last trip we came for 2 days in a row. Our favorite part was the birthday cupcakes.

• September 22, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Another vote for Whispering Canyon! Did they bring you a special cupcake for a birthday? A lot of Disney restaurants will do things like that for a birthday.

• September 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I love the WCC and its one the perks of staying at the WL. We usually eat two meals there. Dinner one night and breakfast on our last morning. Love everything about it. We have a great picture with my four month hold drinking from the “large” lemonade that was bigger than him. Great memories. Definitely check it out…Oh and the food is good to!

• September 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

What a great photo op! Maybe you should take pictures of him with the large lemonade every year to see how he grows 🙂

• September 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Love the bottomless shake. Where else can you get a Cotton Candy flavored milkshake?

• September 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I never think I can handle the shake and the skillet. And if I did I’m pretty sure I’d stick with the boring flavors. The cotton candy and pb and j dont sound so great to me. Glad you like them though!

• September 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Fun place! The food is pretty good, but the experience is even better! This is a place to go and have fun!

• September 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I agree! The food isn’t the most amazing thing ever, but its good and the atmosphere just enhances it. Your experience can really be make or break depending on your server. We had a lot of fun with ours that night.

• September 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

All these positive comments are great to hear, because I will be dining at WCC for the first time during my upcoming trip in October. I was wondering if anyone knows what their vegetarian option is? It’s not shown on the menu, and I’m afraid the skillet won’t be an option for me!

• September 22, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I hope you have a great time in October! I’m heading down in October as well; what are your dates? I asked a friend of mine who opts for vegetarian meals when eating out of her own home and she said that chef was very, very helpful. There was a pasta dish which he customized to her specifications and there was also a quinoa option. Its always nice to hear when the CMs go out of their way to help out guests.

• September 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Thanks so much for this information – the quinoa option sounds interesting. I’ll be there Oct 17-23rd!

• September 23, 2010 at 7:05 am

We’ll miss each other I’m heading down for a quick trip Oct 1-4. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

• September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Whispering Canyon is a fun time. Menu is a little limited for my taste, but it’s still a good place to go and the experience here makes the meal.

• September 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had anything but the skillet so your point about a limited menu very well may be on target. Either way its a fun time and I’m excited to go back there again friends.

• September 23, 2010 at 10:11 am

Love the Whispering Canyon….especially the shakes and skillet…yum! I’m doing the Backstage Magic Tour next Friday and they are taking us there for lunch! Can’t wait! Thanks, Kristen!

• September 24, 2010 at 7:17 am

I went there when I was on the Backstage Magic tour too! It’s always fun to go there with a big group. Have fun!

• September 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

The apple-caramel pie is wonderful. I get it to go and have it later when I can enjoy it. This works especially well on the dining plan.

• September 27, 2010 at 6:37 am

We went here in August looking for a fun meal… and got put in a back room all by ourselves 🙁 The food was REALLY good, and I would probably try again, but I was very disappointed. However, my boyfriend’s mom was being reaaalllyy difficult that trip and walked around with a sour look on her face the whole time, so I’m sure they took one look at her and decided she didn’t want any fun… haha!

• September 30, 2010 at 6:03 pm

We didn’t get any of that “abuse” when we ate here recently. I saw it going on at other tables, but our server was not at all into her “role” I guess. Kind of got our trip off to a slow start.

• Pingback:Disney Food Post Round-Up: October 10, 2010 | the disney food blog