Disney’s Wild Africa Trek

I was fortunate enough to experience Disney’s Wild Africa Trek in the Animal Kingdom recently.  Rather than write a lengthy post about all its particulars, I thought you might prefer to take the trek with me through this video montage.  I hope it helps you decide whether this particular tour is one for your “bucket list” and gives you a greater sense of what to expect.

JL Knopp

J.L. was born and raised in South Florida. For this reason, she grew up regularly visiting the Mouse and developed a fascination with the creativity of Disney Parks. Noticing that her happiest moments seemed to always take place in Walt Disney World, J.L. began trying to recreate the “magic” of Disney in her everyday life beginning in her pre-teen years. Adulthood, thirteen years of marriage, and three children later, J.L. continues to lead a Disney Driven Life and pass her love for Disney on to her husband and children. Currently she blogs for touringplans.com and savvyauntie.com, but her primary focus lies with the community that has grown around her own blog, thedisneydrivenlife.com and its weekly vidcast, inner mouse. Through these venues J.L. strives to help other Disney fans stay connected to the brand that has served as a keystone in her family’s life.

23 thoughts on “Disney’s Wild Africa Trek

• March 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

Great video JL! This really held my attention, and was done well. Even though I had heard a lot about the Wild Africa Trek, I learned a lot from the video. You packed a lot of information in here. Plus, those African rhythms were fantastic. I can’t wait to see more. Dave

• March 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Thank you, Dave. I hope to make more videos like these for the Touring Plans blog. I think the visuals go far in carrying the information. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

• March 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Awesome! Thanks for getting this together; I learned a lot!

• March 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

You are very welcome. 🙂

• March 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Great Video! I am even more excited for my upcoming WAT after seeing your video (didn’t know my excitement levels could be this high). Did you happen to see a dairy-free meal? I’m anxious to know what will be in it.
    Jodi

• March 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm

They will accommodate dietary requests if you notify them ahead of time. My guess is that a dairy-free meal would be the same as the other meals minus the soft cheese and yogurt (if you trek during breakfast). Most of the food items did not contain dairy such as the aged beef, rolled salmon, melon, and fig bread. I’m certain they would have a tasty substitute for the items you needed to eliminate.

I am thoroughly excited for your upcoming WAT. My experience really was a lot of fun. While half of it is not terribly different from the Kilamanjaro Safari, the other half is different enough to make the experience worth doing once. I still cannot get over the fact that I was that close to a hippo.

• March 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow- JL you did an incredible job on this video! You have mad video skills. I love the petting the cheetahs part. It reminded me of that e-trade baby commercial- “Apparently, petting the cheetah’s is “frowned upon” in this establishment.” 😉

• March 7, 2011 at 5:25 am

Serena, thanks so much. I really enjoy the process of putting something like this together. And, who knows, maybe one day they will retract that cheetah-petting policy.

• March 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I loved this video! JL you did an amazing job! There were so many details that you incorporated that answered some of my questions about this tour. 🙂

• March 7, 2011 at 5:25 am

Fantastic! That was definitely the goal.

• March 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Nicely done! Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, you just wrote volumes about this tour. Thank you – I think I’ll add it to my bucket list today!

• March 7, 2011 at 5:28 am

If you have the disposable income for it, this tour should definitely be on the bucket list. While it’s not a “do or die” type of experience, it certainly is a rather unique one peppered with a sense of adventure.

• March 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Great post, JL! Didn’t know you had such abilities with videos. I laughed out loud at the “Elephants Gone Wild” part. I had to rewind–“did I just see what I thought I saw?”

• March 7, 2011 at 5:32 am

Yes, apparently that elephant was slipped a little something in his hay. He was “letting it all hang out.” The guide on the tour was trying to tell our group the reason the elephant was throwing dirt on his back. Someone in our group snickered, “No one is looking at the dirt on its back.”

• March 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

What a fabulous video, JL! I really love how you captured the essence of the Wild Africa Trek in a 5-minute video montage! I learned more about this from your video than I did from all the different blog posts I’ve read about it! Thanks for sharing it here on Touring Plans!

• March 7, 2011 at 5:34 am

Wow, Jackie! Thanks for that. I’m so glad that you got all the information you needed.

• March 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm

This is my favorite video of all time. I watch it on loop daily. I’m watching it right now.

• March 7, 2011 at 5:39 am

I’m so pleased to have met your daily Wild Trek needs. 😉

• March 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Dang JL!!! I had no idea you had such skills! Most excellent presentation!!! I am quite impressed! Brilliantly done!
    Hope you don’t mind if I tag my own… though not quite as thrilled with it now… 🙂

• March 11, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thanks, Jud! That type of encouragement makes the time spent well worth it.

• March 24, 2011 at 12:40 am

Jennie-Lynne:

Great video. Look forward to reading/seeing more articles from you.

ajc

• September 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

Great video. I am scheduled for Oct 12 at 8:45a. I need to chek how that works since the park opens at 9am. Also, with my bald head I need to wear a hat. Are hats allowed?
    Thanks!