My Disney New Year’s Resolutions

Every year most of us make a few New Year’s resolutions which we may or may not keep.  But have you ever made a Disney resolution?  This year I’m taking a look at my Disney life and resolving to make a few changes, but also keep up some of my good habits too!  So without further ado, these are my Disney New Year’s resolutions!

Make use of my Premium Annual Pass:  This summer when I renewed my WDW annual pass I decided to upgrade it to the premium annual pass for the first time.  This pass gives guests access to the four main parks as well as the water parks, DisneyQuest, and Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course.  I’ve made great use of my admission to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, but I haven’t set foot in DisneyQuest or the golf course.  I probably won’t go golfing, but I should at least check out DisneyQuest.  It seems so silly not to go when it is free so in 2012 I vow to go play some games!

Try something new each trip: I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been to Walt Disney World (six times just in 2011) so you’d think that I’ve seen it all right?  Not even close!  There are so many attractions, restaurants, and activities I haven’t had the chance to try yet.  I think this is part of what I love about WDW; there is always something new to see.  I usually try to experience something new on each trip, but I’m not always successful.  So this year I’m going to make a list of some of the things I’d like to do for the first time.  I’m already starting with my plans for my upcoming trip in February!  I’ve got two restaurants in my plans where I’ve never eaten before.  I’m really looking forward to the Crystal Palace with my nieces and nephew and Coral Reef for a birthday celebration with friends.  I’ll be sure to add some other events to my trip and my others for next year.

Show my family the Disney magic:  Speaking of new experiences, if you’ve been reading my posts you may recall I’m planning a trip with my entire family full of non-Disney people.  I’m hoping to make this trip a great vacation for everyone and I know they are looking to me to lead them on their WDW journey.  Not only to I hope to show them all a really good time, but I hope to show them why I keep coming back time and time again.  At the moment they all think I’m crazy for going so often, and I’m sure they still will after we come back home, but at least they’ll get a glimpse into my Disney World.

Remain active in the Disney community: While I’m really excited about a vacation with my biological family I’m also excited to spend more time with my Disney family.  The Disney community has changed my life in ways I could never explain and given me some of my closest friends.  So I vow to continue being an active part of our world in 2012 and I hope you will too!  If you haven’t ventured into our community just yet, don’t be shy!  We are extremely welcoming and can’t wait to meet you.

Take time to relax: Like many of our TouringPlans.com readers, I often run around the parks from sun up to sun down.  I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t always do attractions all day every day, but my schedule always seems to be jam packed on all of my trips.  This year I resolve to take it easy from time to time.  The few times I’ve gotten to have a relaxing day I’ve loved every second of it.  So why don’t I do it more often?  It is supposed to be a vacation after all.

Travel elsewhere: This last resolution may have you scratching your head, but hear me out.  I love WDW like a lot, but the world is a big place with lots to see.  In order to keep myself well rounded and avoid pixie dust overload I like to go somewhere else at least once a year.  It can’t be all Mickey, all the time!  The way I see it, checking out some other destinations helps me appreciate WDW even more.  Disney World is like my second home so it feels good to step out of what is comfortable and familiar from time to time.  I highly recommend it!

What about you?  What are your Disney New Year’s resolutions?  Let me hear about them in the comments!

I’d like to wish a very happy and healthy New Year to all of our readers!

Kristen Helmstetter

Kristen Helmstetter is an Unofficial Guide researcher who will share her 20-something perspective of all things Walt Disney World with blog readers. Kristen’s email address is khelmstetter05@yahoo.com. You can also follow her on Twitter: @khelmstetter.

16 thoughts on “My Disney New Year’s Resolutions

• December 28, 2011 at 9:10 am

Great resolutions, Kristen. Some of them are mine as well. As for your last point, I’d be perfectly happy to do all Disney all the time, but my hubby feels strongly that our daughters should see more of the world. (What? Epcot doesn’t count?) We’ve had great success by taking advantage of Disney’s non-park travel offerings – Disney Cruise Line and Adventures by Disney. We get the world, plus the Disney touch that way. We’ve seen the Caribbean, Costa Rica, Spain, Italy, and France this way.

• December 28, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks, Erin! That’s awesome that your family has gotten to go so many places! My new experience last year was taking my first cruise on the Dream. I had never been cruising or been to the islands before so it was great. I loved it so much I’m going again in November. I’m yet to decide what to do this year, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out. I know so many people from all over in the Disney community now that I usually have a place to stay no matter where I may travel. By the way it was so nice to meet you at Reunion! Happy New Year to you and your family!

• December 28, 2011 at 11:28 am

We just returned from our very first WDW trip ever. I have Disney Depression right now! I want to go back so bad. So my New Years Resolution for Disney is to get that next trip planned! I have started putting money in my Disney jar again, and so has my daughter. Can’t wait to go back and I am planning on 10 days for our next trip. 7 was not enough!

• December 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed your first trip! Good luck planning the next one and I hope TouringPlans.com helps your planning process! Happy New Year!

• December 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm

This year, the only places we went, other than Disney, that required use of the rare and valuable PTO (paid time off) were the Philadelphia Flower Show and the Northeast Organic Farming Conference in Amherst, MA. In all, we racked up 7 trips to the world. This year, we need add some variety. I have resolved to limit myself to 4 WDW trips in 2012 (February, May, Oct/Nov and December) and spend some serious time in either Italy or Hawaii for our 15th wedding anniversary.

Thank you, Kristen, for sharing your Disney resolutions! Good luck and prosperity in 2012!

• December 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I hope you have a wonderful anniversary trip! Italy is fantastic, but I’ve yet to make it to Hawaii. Thanks for the comment and Happy New Year!

• December 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm

We were actually married in Hawaii, and though my husband did his semester abroad in Italy, I’ve never been. If there were a Touring Plan for Italy, it would be a no brainer! 😉 Hope you make it to Hawaii! It’s absolutely magical!

• December 29, 2011 at 12:54 am

Ok, that last one is just crazy tallk. 😉

• January 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Haha I thought some people might say that! I have the travel but, not just the Disney bug though. Thanks for reading!

• December 29, 2011 at 11:46 am

I made a list of Disney resolutions too!! 2012 (well started in Dec of 2011) is going to be my “Disney Year.” I bought my first AP in Dec and will use it to go on 4 very different trips between then and now. Since it’s going to be a very special year for me, I made a “resolution list” of all of the things I want to make sure I do on each of the trips. My first resolution is to start writing trip reports so I can remember everything wonderful that I will do this year in Disney!

• January 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I hope you make great use out of that AP! I think I’m on my sixth one and I manage to make great use of it every year. I hope you enjoy every minute of your four trips and good luck with those resolutions!

• December 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I love making Disney resolutions! If I could find a way to swing it financially, I would resolve to go to Disney at least three times a year. Since that isn’t possible I resolve to enjoy every blessed minute that I do get to spend at the World. I also hope to meet and make more friends inside the Disney community. I already have a handful of wonderful people that I communicate with on a regular basis and it has really expanded my Disney experience. There is something really special about discussing Walt Disney World with others who feel as passionately as I do about the parks. Happy New Year everyone.

• January 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

That sounds great, Tracy! If you aren’t already active on Twitter that seems to be the place for us Disney geeks! I hope to see you there!

• December 31, 2011 at 8:25 am

A Disney Resolution. Great idea! I resolve to be more active in the plethora of Disney communities I belong to.

• February 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm

This was great! Ive often felt like I too have a lot in comomn with Kristen so it was great getting to know her better!