Magic Kingdom Newsworthy Notes – 4/29/14

A few minor news pieces have crept across my desk recently that have to do with the Magic Kingdom that are of interest to many. Here’s what you should know:

First, there’s a very large media event taking place this week, which means it is going to impact some areas of the parks. Here’s what will impacted:

• May 1 – The following locations will close at 5 p.m. to park guests:
    • Gaston’s Tavern
    • Bonjour! Village Gifts
    • Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid
    • Ariel’s Grotto
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    • Hundred Acre Goods
    • Storybook Treats
  • May 2 – There will be a delayed opening of Storybook Circus and parts of Tomorrowland:

Opening at 11 a.m.:

• Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • The Barnstormer
  • Pete’s Silly Sideshow
  • Big Top Souvenirs
  • Tomorrowland Speedway

Opening at 12:15 p.m.:

• Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor

I’ve mentioned before about how the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover and the Astro Orbiter will have refurbishments this summer. Those refurb dates have now been pushed back. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority will now be closed June 2 through August 4, reopening August 5. The Astro Orbiter will be closed from June 2 through September 19, reopening on September 20. In addition, the Liberty Square Riverboat will see its fall refurbishment from August 4-8, reopening on August 9.

Finally, in FastPass+ news (I know, throwing in something that’s not specifically only for the Magic Kingdom here), the kiosks found in the parks will now have the functionality to offer Spanish for guests. Additional language functionality is coming in the future.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

16 thoughts on “Magic Kingdom Newsworthy Notes – 4/29/14

• April 29, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Hmmmmm, I just *wonder* what all THAT could be about! ~wink, wink, nudge, nudge, whistle, whistle~

(on a side note, very happy to see that Peoplemover has been pushed back for refurb. Arriving on the 3rd of May and was so disappointed it wasn’t going to be operational. Now i’m quite happy 🙂 )

• April 29, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Going to be in MK on 5/2. Do you expect the media event to affect MK crowd level or waits at certain rides?

Also, I noticed that “Under the Sea” isn’t accepting FF+ reservations before 11am on 5/2 (but Pooh is), which makes me wonder if that also won’t be closed ….

• April 29, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I would expect that the media event will not really impact MK wait times. The only things that will be impacted are the things that will be closed.

• April 29, 2014 at 3:05 pm

When can we expect more info on the 24-hour event on May 23-24? We’ll be there and are hoping to learn more about what attractions will be operating (and times), what special events are planned (and times), etc.

• April 29, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I would expect more details about the 24 hour event will take place during this media event. So, I’m ready to spill as soon as I know them. 🙂

• April 29, 2014 at 5:08 pm

THANK YOU for your timely updates!!! I check your site daily. I am THRILLED to know TTA is going to now be open during my upcoming travel dates!!! Thank you for making my night so happy!

• April 29, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I am absolutely gutted – the people mover is NOW going to be closed for our trip in July. With the previous dates it should have just reopened, but now….. My daughter is absolutely devastated, its her favourite ride (and she’s almost 18!).
    Andrew and Stacy – you are going to have to ride it MANY, MANY times for me please?

• April 30, 2014 at 10:21 am

Oh no! I’m sorry for the change for you. I’ll think of you and your daughter!

• April 30, 2014 at 11:10 am

• April 30, 2014 at 10:40 am

Trust me, I feel your pain! It’s amazing how a simple little walk-on attraction like this can be such a show stopper! Last year when we were there we were riding it and Space Mountain had an unexpected break down and needed to be worked on for a few hours and all the lights were on. The Peoplemover gives you that little insight where you can see things you wouldn’t normally! Not to mention it’s such a nice break…..

I am sorry it’s shut down for you :/

• April 30, 2014 at 11:15 am

Thanks – we have been on it when the lights were on in space mountain too – if they were on permanently I could probably do that ride – I’m too scared otherwise 🙂
        I guess we’ve become more accepting of the fact now, there’s always something in refurb, last trip it was Test Track which we also love and were disappointed to miss out on so we are looking forward to actually riding that this year:)
        Hope you have a great trip!

• April 29, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I see that your refurbishment list still lists the People Mover reopening on 9/19. I’m assuming that we should go by this post instead of the refurb schedule page?

• April 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm

We expect the PeopleMover to reopen on August 6, 2014, and that has been changed on our site. However, note that Disney can (and often does) change dates of its planned refurbishments. The TTA refurb, in particular, has been moved at least twice so far in 2014.

• April 29, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Will the refurb schedule page reflect this change? I think the People Mover end date still shows 9/19. Thanks!

• April 30, 2014 at 11:05 am

I am so happy that the Peoplemover will be now be open during our May 10-15 trip! It’s one of my all time favorite rides (I still miss Toad…) and this update totally made my day!