The American Idol Experience Will Close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Copyright Disney
Copyright Disney

We talked earlier about how it was a rumor, but it now is official: The American Idol Experience at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will close in January 2015.

The attraction, which is based on the experience that performers have in real life on the hit Fox television show, has guests performing in front of a live audience. The audience then, much like on the television show, votes on which performer was the best. The winner of the day receives a Golden Ticket, allowing special front-of-the-line access at any American Idol audition (if their age fell within the television show’s age restriction.)

In a joint statement, Disney and FreemantleMedia said, “After more than five successful years, ‘The American Idol Experience’ will be coming to a close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios theme park in January 2015. Our partnership with FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment has been a great addition to the park, and we are very appreciative of the amazing cast and guests who have devoted their time and talent to make this experience special and memorable.”

Since the attraction’s debut in 2009, many of the performers on the American Idol  TV show auditioned and performed first on The American Idol Experience stage. Last year alone, three of the top 13 contestants were discovered originally in the park.

The attraction isn’t done providing the show with talent, as many who won this past year will use their Golden Tickets to audition for the upcoming season of American Idol.

This closure will leave quite a large space of land in Disney’s Hollywood Studios empty. The American Idol Experience shares a building with the ABC Sound Studios (the former location of Sounds Dangerous). It will be interesting to see what will happen with this large plot of land.

The rumored last day of operation is January 4, 2015.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

11 thoughts on “The American Idol Experience Will Close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

• June 17, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Wow… that seemed to free up a lot of space for Star Wars Lan… *ack* *gag* Why is *ack* Bob Iger *choke* Pointing at*wheeze* me?!

• June 17, 2014 at 10:02 pm

He finds your lack of faith… disturbing.

• June 18, 2014 at 1:18 am

Could it be his theft of Imperial plans that Darth Iger finds disturbing? Robbie, quick, get rid of your “I am the Rebel Spy” T-shirt!

• June 18, 2014 at 3:38 am

The sooner, the better.
    I never saw the point of a bad game show from a rival network given such status at Walt Disney World.

• June 18, 2014 at 1:19 pm

OK…realistically — what could go in that area? And I’m going to throw in a couple of ideas:

1. Something Avatar themed to go along with Pandora land at AK?
    2. Likely bet — a major Star Wars themed attraction
    3. More Indiana Jones?
    4. The long rumored Incredibles ride?

• June 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Thoughts on Chris’ ideas.
      1. I’m amazed Avatar is still going into AK. I doubt HS will go TT hat way.
      2. I’d agree that this is a good bet. It’s a short walk from Star Tours.
      3. If they want more Indy, they can revamp the stunt show area. It already has a large footprint.
      4. I need to read more websites. I hadn’t heard about an Incredible ride.

• June 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm

OK, I’m just going to say it. My family and I always enjoyed Idol and we will miss it.

• June 18, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Never was crazy about the tv show, seemed like they got attached to this after The shows popularity was already on the decline. Would love to see another Star Wars attraction or an Incredibles themed attraction.

• June 18, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hoping it’s not more star wars…would love a ride…incredibles…or maybe something with Marvel Comics???

• June 26, 2014 at 10:06 am

Pretty sure they cannot do any Marvel rides in WDW.

I am glad to see this go, as it never appealed to me and has a large footprint. However, this is only good news if Disney fills that space with something good…and that doesn’t take 10 years to build.

I also fear closing this and leaving it empty for years on end.

• June 27, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oh- i didnt realize they couldnt do Marvel rides- just lnew they sold marvel stuff now 🙂
        I agree- i hope it’s not left empty forever!