Memory Maker FAQs

PhotoPass Memory Maker ©Disney
The Memory Maker gets you digital copies of all of your PhotoPass photos. Photo ©Disney

Disclaimer: While I am a Cast Member, the following is based on my own experience and does not necessarily reflect the policies of the Walt Disney Company.

Philosophers of the age ask: If there are no pictures, did it really happen? Photos are an integral part of preserving your Disney moments and sharing the memories with family and friends. To that end, Disney offers the Memory Maker for purchase. The Memory Maker is a way to get digital copies of all of the PhotoPass photos and videos from your Walt Disney World vacation. Like any major Disney purchase, you should look at the pros and cons before you decide to drop the cash. I recently had the opportunity to use a Memory Maker as a Guest and participated in the One-day Memory Maker pilot program as a Cast Member. Here are the questions I heard from Guests—and had myself—about the Memory Maker.

How much does the Memory Maker cost?

The full Memory Maker is offered at the advance purchase price and the regular price. Purchasing the Memory Maker in advance—at least three days before your trip begins—costs $169 before tax. Buying the Memory Maker less than three days before, during, or after your trip costs $199. If you purchase the Memory Maker at the advance purchase price, you will not be able to download any photos taken during the three days after your purchase. The One-day Memory Maker—which, as its name would imply, is valid for a single day of photos—is $39. The One-day Memory Maker can only be added to a single-day ticket.

If you were thinking about buying several One-day Memory Makers instead of the full Memory Maker, I ran the numbers for you: If you’re going more than three days, the full Memory Maker plus your ticket costs less.

How do I purchase a Memory Maker?

The Memory Maker can be purchased in advance online from MyDisneyExperience. The regular-priced Memory Maker can be purchased online or in the parks at select retail locations. The One-day Memory Maker can only be purchased at the vacation planning booths at the Ticket and Transportation Center or at Guest Relations. The One-day Memory Maker was offered beginning in September 2014 as a pilot program with Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, but is still available to purchase with any single-day ticket. As of now, there is no word on when (or if) the pilot program will end.

How will I carry my Memory Maker?

Memory Maker MagicBand PhotoPass
Your photos can be connected to any of your family’s MagicBands.

A Memory Maker can be stored on a MagicBand or an RF-enabled card. If you order your Memory Maker ahead of time, it will be mailed to you on a Memory Maker-branded RF-enabled card. A free MagicBand is included with your One-day Memory Maker. If you want to use a MagicBand with your full Memory Maker, it will need to be purchased separately.

How do I use my Memory Maker?

When a photo is taken by a PhotoPass photographer, the photographer will touch an RFID scanner to your card or MagicBand after your “photoshoot” to add the photos to your MyDisneyExperience account.

With the MagicBand, ride photos are automatically added to your My Disney Experience account using long-range RFID technology—there is no need to stop at the photo kiosk at the end of the attraction. If you choose to use a card instead of a MagicBand, you can stop at the photo kiosk after the attraction and touch the touch point under the photo display. The videos from Tower of Terror or Seven Dwarves Mine Train are only available on a MagicBand.

How do I get my Memory Maker photos?

All photos that are attached to any media affiliated with your MyDisneyExperience account will appear on your account. This includes any photos from people whose profiles you manage or any people on your “Friends and Family” list.

The One-day Memory Maker is activated when you use your ticket, so you will only be able to download photos taken on that day. If you have a single-day ticket with the Water Park Fun & More option, the Memory Maker will still be activated on first use—even if that first use is at a water park where there are no PhotoPass photographers. If you plan to visit one of the Water Park Fun & More visits first, add the One-day Memory Maker later.

The Memory Maker is active 30 days after your first download. Because PhotoPass photos do not expire for 45 days, you can theoretically download photos from a 75-day time period: from 45 days before your first download to 30 days after. An important note: if you purchase the Memory Maker at the advance purchase price, you will not be able to download any photos taken three days after your purchase date.

From the MyDisneyExperience website, you can edit your photos—including the ability to add Disney-exclusive borders and clip art. You can download the original photos, the edited photos, and any videos.

How do I get the most out of my Memory Maker?

Magic shot PhotoPass Memory Maker
PhotoPass photographers can add some extra magic to your photos with a magic shot.

• Get a MagicBand. Even if you have to purchase a MagicBand, the convenience and ride videos are worth the extra cost.
  • Stop at every PhotoPass photographer. The higher the volume of photos, the better value you’re getting.
  • Meet characters. The PhotoPass photographers at the character meet-and-greets will take several photos of you, both in poses and interacting with the character.
  • Ask for magic shots. The PhotoPass photographer will set you in a specific pose and the effect will be added to your photo on you MyDisneyExperience account.

Is the Memory Maker worth it?

Full disclosure: I did not pay for my Memory Maker—I won it through a contest. However, I would recommend the purchase for some people. If you’re with a large group, it is probably worth it to split the cost since you’ll be able to download photos for the whole group. It’s also great for special events; we used ours for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, and the Once Upon a Christmastime Parade filming. A longer trip reduces the cost per day, so the more days the better; I think five days is a good minimum since it puts the cost at about $40 per day.

Have you used Memory Maker? Decided it wasn’t worth it for your family? Tell us all about it in the comments.

Maddi Higgins

Maddi is a full time vacation planner at Magic Kingdom. She is a graduate of the Disney College Program and Disney Professional Internship Program. She is a long-time Disney World fan and her family has been DVC members since 2008. You can see more of her work at maddihiggins.com.

28 thoughts on “Memory Maker FAQs

• January 21, 2015 at 11:33 am

We bought the memory maker in advance before our 7 day trip and it absolutely saved us money. We didn’t purchase it before our first trip to WDW and ended up forking over $10-$15 ( can’t quite remember) per download for the few shots we did want( Jedi Training, Magic Shots). Buying 10 downloads cost so much, and there were so many other pictures I wanted, but we just couldn’t afford our memories at that price. If you think you will want any pictures taken by the photo pass photographers I recommend you buy the memory maker in advance.

• January 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Can a single Memory Maker purchase be added to multiple Magic Bands? My husband and I have 4 kids, and we often split up during our Disney vacations. Furthermore, we would need the technology to pick up all six of us during a ride, not just the person wearing the band.

• January 21, 2015 at 2:27 pm

We pre-purchased the Memory Maker last year and we had the following observations… Every one in on our room reservation was able to use their own bands to link pictures to the one Memory Maker account. We only had one room for our party, so I do not know about large parties. I do not recall if the ride technology was in place during our trip, but I thought I had read somewhere that the technology senses your band instead of using face technology? What is cool is that you can log into your account and see if your pictures were linked almost right away (this does not count as downloading). I was pretty nervous about the pictures linking and checked the account while waiting in the next line pretty often. Also, after we got home, I noticed that our pictures with Tinkerbell and Fawn were missing. We somehow ended up with someone else’s photos. I discovered that there is actually a way to report missing or wrong photos (you do have to be diligent, because they only keep unclaimed photos for a finite period), but within a day, they had found and linked our correct photos. Hope that helps with your questions.

• January 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Very helpful! Thanks!

• January 31, 2015 at 5:51 pm

My family had 6 adults, and 4 kids (ages 1-6) when we went in June. We were all linked on MyDisneyExperience, and we were in 3 hotel rooms. We split up several times, and we were all able to link every picture to my mom’s memory maker account without any issues. Out ride photos were automatically added. We ended up with over 100 pictures by the end of our week long trip, including some from several character meals, tons from the test track pavilion, and Blizzard Beach. I would totally recommend it to any large group traveling together. The kids can use their bands to add picture too… which they did a lot in the test track pavilion.

• January 21, 2015 at 10:25 pm

As long as you are all connected on MyDisneyExperience, all of your photos will be included and you can use everyone’s MagicBands. If you want the photos of family members who weren’t wearing a MagicBand on the ride, you can always touch your MagicBand to the touch points after riding. The only time this wouldn’t work would be for the videos on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Tower of Terror; the person riding needs to be on the ride to get the video.

• January 25, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Actually it is really great for if you split up. My husband and son split from me at AK to go do more in the dino area, while I dealt with downloading visa points to a gift card. They had all kinds of adorable pics together doing that. While I “control” the MDE account, they just scan their MBs to get them as well. Same thing with the ride pics, as my husband and I often had to go solo on the big rides.

• January 21, 2015 at 1:05 pm

We bought the memory maker right before the last trip, and considering 3 couples, it was a value when we split it. Having all six people in the shots certainly made it worth it, not to mention having it encouraged us to hit every character and photo spot along the way, something we would have normally passed in our need to get to the next attraction,

• January 21, 2015 at 2:48 pm

To add to the above question about sharing the Memory Maker among several members of your party, I have a similar question. I am going with my extended family in the Fall (my brother, sister, her family and our parents along with my family of 4). My family will be staying at a WDW resort for a few days of the trip and hen joining everyone else at an off property hotel for the remainder of the trip. Because of our resort stay we will have Magic Bands but the rest of my family likely won’t bother to pay extra for magic bands, using their RFID enabled ticket instead for FP+ etc.

Based on what I read in the article, if you do not have Magic Bands, you are mailed a desperate RFID enabled card for Memory Maker if you’re has win advance.if we are all travelling together, all linked on MDE, and all splitting the cost of Memory maker! will we still get an RFID enabled memory maker card to split between the remaining members of our party (those without the magic bands), and if so do you know if there is an option to get multiple RFID cards all attached to the same account? We may not tour the same attractions/parks at the same times in all cases so it would be nice to split up and still share all of the photos.

• January 21, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Your family can use the RF-enabled ticket cards for the PhotoPass photos. If they ride any attractions, they can touch the touch points after the ride to get their photos included. There’s no need for everyone to have the Memory Maker branded card. You’ll just want to make sure somebody with a MagicBand is there when you ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train or Tower of Terror, since the videos are exclusive to the MagicBand.

• January 22, 2015 at 10:27 am

Thank you!

• January 21, 2015 at 7:05 pm

This was probably clear to everyone else, but I was confused on the magic bands. We have a disney package and are staying on site. If we get the memory maker, do we have to buy separate magic bands for the memory maker, or will the memory maker automatically be added to our regular magic bands if we prepurchase?

• January 21, 2015 at 10:00 pm

If you are staying on property, you will get magic bands and you use these same magic bands for MemoryMaker. This is what our family did last summer and had no problems. We love MemoryMaker. The longer your stay at WDW, the better the deal is for MemoryMaker, and we usually visit for a week at at time. You can now also get ride videos for both Tower of Terror and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train that you can’t buy separately. Our Tower of Terror videos are hilarious! I’ve also heard that there are now magic shots you can get from MemoryMaker photographers that add in a video clip of a Disney character to your shot, but this is pretty recent and was added after our last trip so I don’t know for sure.

• January 21, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Yes, the animated magic shots are included in the Memory Maker.

• January 22, 2015 at 10:24 am

The magic video shots are incredible. I was there in November with family and received two of them without knowing it until I came home to download and found these extra video pics. I heard they were piloting it after the fact. Not to spoil the surprise, but they really make the cost of the memory maker worth it.

• January 21, 2015 at 10:19 pm

No need to buy an extra MagicBand! Your Memory Maker should be automatically connected; if not, you can add it to your MyDisneyExperience account.

• January 21, 2015 at 10:24 pm

My inlaws are going with my family 4 days, and my sister-in-law’s family 4 days the following week — if my inlaws purchase the magic maker, would it include all 8 days?

• January 21, 2015 at 10:27 pm

As long as your are all connected on MyDisneyExperience, the photos will all be included. However, only one account will be able to download the photos, so one person will have to download them all and send them over.

• January 21, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Great post! We will be getting Magicbands soon, are 37 days out, and I linked our Memory Maker on MyDisney Experience. However, today I got an RFID card in the mail. Which do I use?

• January 22, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Either one will work, but I would just ditch the card and use the MagicBand since it’s more convenient.

• January 21, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Do you know how the magic bands/memory maker work with a split stay?

• January 22, 2015 at 9:15 am

Don’t know exactly for the Magic Bands but he Memory Maker certainly can be used, as long as the stay is not longer than 30 days.

• January 22, 2015 at 12:49 pm

I’m not sure how the MagicBands Work as far as your room key, bit for the Memory Maker, as long as both MagicBands are connected to your MyDisneyExperience, you can use both of them for your Memory Maker photos.

• January 22, 2015 at 11:13 am

Memory maker was totally worth it for my family. We got over a two hundred photos (we were there for 10 days) and they were awesome. Also sharing the cost with the other family we went with made it well worth it. I’ve already purchased it again for our family trip this coming summer!

• January 23, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Do the photohraphers know (just scanning your band)if you bought the memory maker or not?

• January 29, 2015 at 4:41 am

This seems amazing, and almost too good to be true. We are going in Spring with a group of 6 for 2 weeks. That is potentially ALOT of photos all for the standard price! It seems to be a no-brainer for us.
    My only question would be the downloading – within the 30 day period could you have unlimited downloading to multiple computers?

• January 31, 2015 at 5:55 pm

We only had one person download to one computer, then we just copied them to everyone else’s computer.

• February 3, 2015 at 2:18 pm

We are staying at one of the Disney resorts, but debating on whether to buy our tickets through The Official Ticket Center or the My Disney Experience site. My question is, do you have to book both hotel and tickets on MDE in order to pre-order the Memory Maker? It’s saying I need to book a package to add on the Memory Maker.

Also, if we purchase tickets through The OTT instead of MDE, do you still get Magic Bands for staying at a Disney Resort or do you have to buy those at the park? I guess I’m confused about how everything ties together if you purchase tickets separately and not as a package on MDE.

Thanks for any answers!!