FastPass+ and Magic Kingdom Parties

©Disney
©Disney

A common question we get asked is if you can make FastPass+ reservations during a Not-So-Scary Halloween Party or Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. The technical answer is: no. Once a party starts at 7:00 pm, all attractions will only have their stand-by queues open. With a limited number of guest attending the party and special party activities, the lines generally don’t get too long.

FastPAss+You can, however, make FastPass+ reservations before a party starts and still take advantage of them with your party ticket. With that ticket, you are allowed to enter the Magi Kingdom anytime after 4:00 pm, but the park doesn’t close to day guests until 7:00 pm. You could easily get two or more FastPass+ selections in that 3-hour window. The last FastPass+ reservation you can make is 6:30 pm; if, for some reason, the Disney website lets you book a later FastPass+ reservation it is likely it will be canceled, so don’t fall for that.

dress for success
Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party – (c) Disney

But don’t you need a park ticket to make FastPass+ selections you ask? Yes and no. While you do need park admission, your Halloween or Christmas party ticket will also allow you access to My Disney Experience to make FastPass+ selections. To further sweeten this pot, if you are going to use another park admission before 4:00 pm, you can use that ticket to make another set of FastPass+ reservations. But there is a catch, My Disney Experience will not recognize that you are going to use two tickets on one day and does not know you are eligible to two sets of FastPass+ reservations.To get around the built-in limitation of My Disney Experience, your two admission tickets need to be linked to different My Disney Experience accounts. The dummy account can be tied to a different email address or just a “friend” of you main account. The party ticket needs to be linked to the dummy account. To avoid confusing your two accounts, name the dummy account with something that is easy for you to recognize. You can use a middle initial “D” or use a middle name as your first name.

MNSSHP: fun for all ages! Photo by - Kent Phillips
MNSSHP: fun for all ages! Photo by – Kent Phillips

When you want to use the FastPasses on your dummy account you need to use your party ticket. When ordering your tickets request Disney to send you a physical plastic ticket. The plastic ticket will have an RFID chip and will work to get you into the Magic Kingdom at 4:00 pm, and into the FastPass+ queues. If you have already purchased your party ticket you can transfer the ticket to your dummy account as long as the accounts are linked as friends or family.

christmas mk castle

If you do not have a physical party ticket, you will not have a way to get into the Magic Kingdom. I would assume guest services can link a new RFID card to your dummy account. Alternatively, you could purchase a Magic Band and link it to the dummy account. If you are staying at a Disney resort, and you have available space, you can link your dummy account to your reservation. This will give your dummy account a Magic Band. If you already have Magic Bands from a prior trip, you could make your reservation with your dummy account.

All rules that apply to making FastPass+ reservations applies to your dummy account. Unless your dummy account is linked to a reservation you cannot make FastPass+ reservations until 30-days prior to your visit.

This post was inspired by a thread on the Touringplans Forum. If have questions, and want to see other peoples’ experience head over to the Forum to see what they are saying.

Steve Bloom

By helping TouringPlans.com continue to reach the most accurate crowd level predictions, Steve finally found a way to meld his training in statistical analysis with a lifelong passion for Disney. He first visited the Magic Kingdom in 1972, just a few months after it opened. Now he enjoys frequent trips with his two kids. At age four his son insisted on wearing cowboy boots to reach the height requirement for Test Track, and his daughter believes that a smoked turkey leg and Dole Whip make a perfectly balanced meal. Even though she doesn't quite get it, Steve's wife is supportive of his Disney activities.

22 thoughts on “FastPass+ and Magic Kingdom Parties

• September 6, 2016 at 8:33 am

If I recall the process correctly, since the system will cancel any FP+ whose window extends past 6:30, the ideal selection of FP+ options would be at 3:30, 4:30, and 5:30 – the first window opens before you’re allowed in the park, but if you can get there in your first 30 minutes after entry, you’re still in the window; your last FP+ window ends at the 6:30 cutoff.

The drawback to using your “dummy” account for this is that you’ll be using the 30-day window for reservations, not the 60+ you can get with a resort stay (assuming you’re a resort guest and you’re using a different account with its own ticket to link to that resort stay). So your options will be more limited, especially considering the narrow time windows you have to work with.

• September 6, 2016 at 9:20 am

Will I need to do this for every member of my party I have six people. I also gave the plastic cards and they’re all ready connected do I have to reassign them to each new dummy account?

• September 6, 2016 at 9:44 am

Yes. You will have to create six dummy accounts and transfer the party tickets to each of the dummy accounts.

• September 6, 2016 at 10:54 am

So then, do I use to those tickets at the touch points or would I be getting new magic bands?

• September 6, 2016 at 11:05 am

Party tickets will work to enter the park and the FastPass+ touch points. If you have Magic Bands linked to the same account you can use the bands instead.

Disney only gives you new Magic Bands of you are staying at a Disney Resort.

• September 6, 2016 at 11:14 am

I am already staying on property. I leave in 22 days. Maybe I’m not getting it. So I need to create dummy accounts for all
            6 people transfer the MNSSHP tickets to the new accounts link them all
            In MDE and make these other FP+s But arent my bands already connected to my original emails and res?

• September 6, 2016 at 11:23 am

So can I link my band to more then one acct?

• September 6, 2016 at 12:35 pm

No. A Magic Band can only be linked to one account.

• September 6, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Magic Bands and plastic tickets that are linked to a My Disney Experience is just a physical way to link to My Disney Experience account. The actual park admission purchased with the physical medium is lost. If you have ten Magic Bands and plastic tickets linked to one account, you can use any of them interchangeably. To keep a party ticket and a Magic Your Way ticket separate they need to be linked to different My Disney Experience accounts.

• September 6, 2016 at 10:23 am

This ability to get double fastpasses isn’t just limited to parties. The podcast Backside of Magic laid out how to get extra fastpasses all the time. It is amazing.

• September 6, 2016 at 11:02 am

Which episode was that?

• September 6, 2016 at 11:09 am

Pretty early, definitely within the first 10 episodes.

• September 7, 2016 at 2:05 am

Just listened to it – it was Episode #9.

• September 7, 2016 at 9:31 am

Yeah, that’s it. Backside of Magic episodes in general are full of tips you don’t hear anywhere else.

• September 7, 2016 at 10:13 am

I had never heard of them before, but they made reference to me! I was the “guy from California”.
            Sounds like a good podcast – maybe a replacement for the late WDWToday.

• September 7, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I’m guessing the podcast is where all this info came from….

• September 7, 2016 at 12:08 pm

When you scan the dummy magic bands for party admission, don’t they fingerprint you? Seems like if your fingerprint linked to 2 different accounts that would be a problem….

• September 7, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I wouldn’t expect so. They would have to search the entire database for duplicates every time a new band is associated with a fingerprint, with not much benefit in doing so.
      Plus, they are only partial print characteristics, so there are likely many duplicates in the system already. If there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of a random person matching a ticket, the system will be doing its job.

• September 7, 2016 at 4:04 pm

So I already set up a dummy account and got FPPs, but I printed out my party tickets at home (think home printed airline ticket barcodes). Would you try to get to guest services to have a hard copy with RFID chip on a non-party day, or on the day of the party (we are going to MK on regular ticket earlier in the day)? I am thinking that if we go the same day as the party, they might question the FPP double dipping. But if we go the day before, they might link it to our magic bands and cancel our morning FPPs (one of which is 7DMT).

• September 7, 2016 at 4:44 pm

For 6 FPP using park admission AND MNSSHP ticket – Why do you have to create whole “dummy account” with different email etc.? Couldn’t you just create a “new” family member in your existing MDE, reassign your party ticket to the family member and book 3 different FPP on each? Then, enter MK with your normal park ticket/magic band and be sure to use the MNSSHP card for FPP booked on that ticket and your MB for the FPP booked on the park ticket/magic band?

• September 7, 2016 at 5:16 pm

I did say: “The dummy account can be tied to a different email address or just a ‘friend’ of you main account.”

Everything you said is correct. The FastPass+ system does not verify what park admission you used to get into the park. If you use your AP to enter the park, but use the party ticket’s FPP’s.