Shark Reef Closing at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon

Typhoon Lagoon
©Disney

Shark Reef, a unique experience at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park, will be closed effective October 3, 2016. This move is part of the park’s continued growth and expansion.

Recently Disney announced that it would build a new water attraction called Miss Fortune Falls, a white-water, family-friendly adventure.

Shark Reef allowed Guests to don fins, mask, snorkel and a life vest before snorkeling in the an extremely cold saltwater pool that was home to fish, rays, and very small sharks. Those who didn’t want to swim could still see the fish through a underwater glass viewing window.

The animals currently found in Shark Reef will be relocated to other places around the Walt Disney World Resort.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

9 thoughts on “Shark Reef Closing at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon

• September 14, 2016 at 3:57 pm

NOOOOOOO! I was really looking forward to doing this my sons next year. 🙁

• September 14, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I guess I’m very thankful we were looking at going to Typhoon Lagoon when we arrive on 9/30. It’s really the thing I want to do most there so I’ll get an opportunity to do that.

• September 14, 2016 at 4:45 pm

You are so lucky… We will be there on October 4th…!

• September 14, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Sad to see this close. Only had a chance to do it once, and it was truly a unique experience for a family water slide park. Hopefully another unique experience will take its place.

• September 14, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I think you might be thinking of Aquatica which has a clear slide through the dolphin tank. This is snorkelling among fish etc

• September 14, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Very sad! We wanted a do-over: I was half-drowning and struggling with my glasses preventing the mask from staying on (the few brief moments were totally awesome!). One of my sons felt like he froze to death, and my other son had a mini-panic attack from not knowing what to do! And freezing! WE LOVED IT

• September 15, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I’m so happy I got to experience this for the first time earlier this month. I’m not sure if it’s because we were there on a “cooler” (85 and cloudy) day, or because we’re from Maryland and the ocean is pretty cold here, but it did not seem very cold at all! My husband and I both commented that the water did not feel nearly as cold as we were expecting.

• September 16, 2016 at 4:17 am

We were there this summer and so glad that my son was able to experience this for the first and probably now last time. The underwater viewing area though was closed off and it didn’t look like a temporary closure.

• September 22, 2016 at 8:22 am

Noooo!!! We were planning on going just a couple of days after this :/. This is our favorite pet of the park .