New Welcome Show Coming to the Magic Kingdom

Magic Kingdom Welcome Show
©Disney

If you are a fan of the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show, 2017 will bring some new changes. Beginning January 9, Guests will be able to experience a new way to start their day.

Previously Guests would wait in front of the Main Street Train Station to catch the show. This would often cause backups though, especially on busier days.

To help alleviate some of the congestion, Guests will be allowed to enter Main Street, U.S.A. ahead of the park’s scheduled opening time. Guests will have the opportunity to savor the atmosphere, take photos, or grab a quick breakfast. Then at park opening, Guests will be able to experience a brand new Welcome Show that will officially open the park for the day on the Castle Forecourt Stage. During the new Welcome Show, a Royal Herald will appear to deliver a proclamation and welcome a few of your favorite Disney characters to the stage and officially opening the park for the day.

The final performance of the current Magic Kingdom Welcome Show will take place on January 8.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

14 thoughts on “New Welcome Show Coming to the Magic Kingdom

• December 29, 2016 at 12:42 pm

It so happens the first day of our upcoming week at Disney World is Sunday, January 8, and we were planning to go to the Magic Kingdom that morning anyway — so we’ll get our welcome to WDW from the *last* train show! That’s pretty cool. And then we’ll get to see the new show a few days later (probably on Wednesday, January 11).

• December 29, 2016 at 12:43 pm

This makes me so sad 🙁 I’m going to miss the old show so much, but I do understand why they are choosing to change the way it’s done.

• December 29, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Seems like a big improvement from the current MK rope drop process. This will eliminate the log-jam under the train tunnel and allow people to choose between bellying up to the internal ropes, taking some early morning pictures, or just enjoying Main Street for a bit.

• December 29, 2016 at 5:01 pm

How do you see this affecting morning touring plans? Will the lines for first rides be longer?

• December 29, 2016 at 9:46 pm

No no no, I don’t like this!!!!

• December 29, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I love the current show, but this totally makes sense. I’m thumbs-up.

• December 30, 2016 at 2:30 am

I read about this elsewhere first and they said it was because the train/track (forget which) will be down for refurbishment. Did not state about whether it was permanent but seemed a completely different reasoning from this.

• December 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

For those using the morning extra magic hours or with early dining reservations, where do you go?

• December 30, 2016 at 11:26 am

The Welcome Show will be before morning Extra Magic Hours, so nothing special will be needed. For early dining reservations, I would expect the procedure will be similar to what currently is. There will be a special entrance where they will check you in. To get to Cinderella’s Royal Table, and Be Our Guest they will need a second checkpoint to let you past the castle.

• December 30, 2016 at 5:03 pm

As much as I love the current show,the crowds have made it very uncomfortable. I look forward to this and now we can get my husbands shopping fix over early!

• December 30, 2016 at 5:50 pm

The train station is being renovated. It may come back afterwards.

• December 31, 2016 at 4:25 pm

How early will they allow visitors to enter Main Street?

• January 2, 2017 at 9:12 pm

This is personally a positive for our first trip in June. I know DD8 wants to see the castle first thing when we get there so this will just knock out two things almost at the same time.

• January 8, 2017 at 1:25 am

This makes sense. All the parks should open 30 minutes early so there’s less of a bottleneck at the entrance and no bumrush stampede to E-rides.

People can shop, get a coffee, enjoy the atmosphere and line up for the opening of their fav ride in a civilized manner.