Epcot’s Character Spot to Change to a Tier 1 FastPass+ Option

Beginning on June 11, there’s going to be a change to the FastPass+ tiering at Epcot because the Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot will officially become a Tier 1 FastPass+ option.

Character Spot

The new FastPass+ Tiers will be as follows for Epcot beginning on Monday:

Tier 1

Tier 2

It will be interesting to see how this will impact availability for this attraction moving forward. Personally, I think this will likely open up this option to having same day availability, since traditionally, as a Tier 2 option (at least when I’ve looked and tried to make FastPass reservations lately) the Character Spot option is typically unavailable. Time will tell.

Rikki Niblett

I am a co-host of the Be Our Guest Podcast and do lots of other fun Disney stuff all around the interwebs! You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @RikkiNibs or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rikkinibs

20 thoughts on “Epcot’s Character Spot to Change to a Tier 1 FastPass+ Option

• June 7, 2018 at 11:28 am

Interesting. Nearly half of the FP+ attractions are Tier 1. I was wondering how they were going to handle the tiers for Hollywood Studios once Galaxy’s Edge opens, but this seems to be the answer: just make Tier 1 bigger. I wouldn’t be surprised if both Galaxy’s Edge attractions, all 3 Toy Story Land attractions, and Runaway Railway are all Tier 1 in 2020.

• June 7, 2018 at 12:09 pm

Boy do I miss the old FP system

• June 7, 2018 at 12:53 pm

So do we….
      We have our last trip scheduled in the fall.
      I can’t deal with all the preplanning and still not being able to do what we want.
      Universal Studios for us for the next few years.

• June 7, 2018 at 2:19 pm

We already tried this. I was really not impressed with anything outside Harry Potter World. The rides are mostly badly synced 3D video simulators. My husband got ill on most of them. I had to close my eyes on the Simpson’s ride because I was going to vomit.

• June 7, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Don’t mind the naysayers: you’ll love Universal!

• June 7, 2018 at 12:27 pm

I’m probably one of the few that likes this. It will make it easier to get that FP+. My younger daughter doesn’t like Soarin, TT, or really Frozen (the drop scares her), so things like the character meetings mean more to her.

• June 7, 2018 at 1:26 pm

We will be there June 22 and already have both Character Spot and Frozen FPs. They both still show up in MDE. Will there be an issue or are we “grandfathered in”?

• June 7, 2018 at 2:53 pm

We have the same for June 23. Hope neither go missing, especially Frozen.

• June 8, 2018 at 10:06 am

Wow. That’s interesting since the Character Spot had to be one of the more popular Tier 2 FastPasses. I agree that this likely will make it more available because most guests will take the headliners. On the flip side, it could impact other Tier 2 FPs in the opposite fashion.

• June 8, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I don’t see Rock N Roller Coaster in the above breakdown list. I assume it’s still Tier 1?

• June 8, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Hi Dan! Rock n’ Roller Coaster is found at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and this list is for Epcot. That’s why you’re not seeing it.

However, with that being said, there is going to be a change in tiering at Disney’s Hollywood Studios too once Toy Story Land opens with the three Toy Story Land attractions being in Tier 1 and everything else being in Tier 2. (That will mean Rock n’ Roller Coaster will move to Tier 2 starting June 30.)

Please let me know if you have further questions!

• June 8, 2018 at 1:14 pm

I just realized that. I was reading this while working on a HS Touringplan and got my thoughts crossed. Thanks for the quick reply. lol

• June 8, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Welcome! And good luck working on your Disney’s Hollywood Studios TouringPlan! 🙂

• June 8, 2018 at 2:08 pm

This is really frustrating, there is nothing in tier 2 worth having for fastpass… I wonder what they will do once guardians and ratatouille open because they can’t have all of those in tier 1. I never had a problem getting a fastpass for the character meet and greet and found it incredibly to get them all done at once. I guess I’ll be rope dropping the characters from now on when I go since the lines for the others are better uses of the fastpass.

• June 11, 2018 at 9:24 am

Funny because all of the tier 2 rides in EPCOT you can walk on. In other words there is really no need for fast passes for those attractions.

• June 11, 2018 at 9:38 am

It depends–yesterday I snagged a FP+ for Living with the Land, because it had a 45 minute posted wait (and looked to be about 25-30 minutes–the entire queue area was filled to the last row). We did the Behind the Seeds tour, and when we came out, the line for standby was still about 20 minutes or so, but it was 7 minutes for us to load with a FP+. You don’t save as much time on tier 2 rides, but if you can save 10-30 minutes per ride, that can add up quick on those.

• June 14, 2018 at 11:31 am

Hopefully when everything is operational for the 50th, the need for tiers will disappear…Galaxy’s Edge may need it’s own tier for a while though.

• June 15, 2018 at 8:39 am

We’re traveling to Orlando in July, I’ve booked our fast passes for Epcot back in May. Got a Mission space, Character spot and Soarin’ booked. Do you think they will make me select a different fast pass instead of the Character spot?

• June 15, 2018 at 8:45 am

I’m in a similar situation for my trip next week. My fastpasses haven’t changed. What I have noticed is that I can’t modify the times for either Character Spot or my other tier 1 FP (Frozen). If I try to modify, instead of offering new times, it only allows me to pick a tier 2 attraction.

• June 15, 2018 at 9:14 am

Just called reservations and was confirmed that Character spot in fact has been added to Tier 1, and if one has FP already it will not be affected (grandfathered) however no changes can be made.