A Short Survey About TouringPlans.com Pricing

If you have 2 minutes to spare, we would really appreciate some insight into the cost of a one-year subscription to TouringPlans.com.

The survey can be found here:

TouringPlans.com Pricing Survey

The survey is for both current subscribers and non-subscribers. The results are for information purposes only and your responses are confidential. Feel free to share the survey link with others, especially if they are considering subscribing but are not as familiar with TouringPlans.com as loyal blog readers such as yourself.

Thanks!

Fred Hazelton

Fred Hazelton maintains the crowd calendar, theme park wait time models and does hotel rate analysis for the Unofficial Guides. He's also done the models for the new mobile wait times product Lines. Fred Hazelton is a professional statistician living in Ontario, Canada. His email address is fred@touringplans.com. You can also follow him on Twitter: @DisneyStatsWhiz.

8 thoughts on “A Short Survey About TouringPlans.com Pricing

• August 13, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I totally recommend Touring Plans to my friends who know nothing about Disney World, but I normally recommend the Unofficial Guide first and since you can get a discount with the current guide, I/they have never actually paid full price. I know the website has a lot of the same information, but I think the book makes for an easier place to find information, especially for newbies. The combo of book (Kindle version) and app is about $24.

Personally I don’t use the app much, but that’s because I’m an annual passholder who still gets there prior to rope-drop and leaves in the afternoon when crowds get bad.

• August 13, 2018 at 3:20 pm

If you’re a super-planner like myself, it’s totally worth it. I’m at WDW at best every 5 years. Currently planning trip for February 2019 – will be last one until after dust settles from new plans at DHS, EP & MK. If I’m spending thousands of dollars on a 2-week trip, the info on the crowd calendar, daily wait times (past and future), and FP+ availability is totally worth an investment of $20+ to get the most out of my trip. However, I think I’m in a tiny minority. I don’t really know anyone else who’d be willing to put as much effort into planning a vacation as I do – doing all the work up front so I can sit back and just enjoy the plan while I’m there. So while I’d pay more for it, I’m not sure I’d recommend it to other people. I’d certainly recommend the site for lots of great information, but much of that can be obtained without the subscription.

• August 13, 2018 at 4:31 pm

I love the app and especially the website. For me the books are fun but mostly review since I go often — they would be good for newbies who have lots of reading time on their hands.

I use the website for trip planning, crowd calendars, date reminders, forums, and the blog in addition to the touring plans!

I tend to use the app more when I’m in the park — especially wait times and ride breakdowns. I also like being able to contribute to the app by timing waits and reporting breakdowns. Kind of a fun bonus 🙂

• August 13, 2018 at 6:27 pm

The survey is clearly skewed to the WDW plan and I currently only have a subscription to the DLR option which is lower cost but that’s good because I think there are fewer benefits to the DLR version. You didn’t ask but I think the DLR version is priced pretty well.

For the WDW version I have previously had it and I will again soon but the thing I thought might be missing from your survey was a question about how often or when people think it’s a good value to subscribe. I don’t think I’ll ever be subscribed in a year that I can’t use the tools for a trip. I make sure to subscribe basically as soon as I’ve booked a trip and then I’ve got a subscription for a year, if that helps with another trip it’s awesome but if it expires I don’t renew until I start planning another trip.

I had a friend recently start planning a trip and the first thing I did was point him to this site. I told him to check if his agent offered a discount or free subscription but if they didn’t to subscribe, lucky for him, they did offer a free sub and he’s been using the tools to help plan a great trip.

• August 13, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Totally agree with Brian’s comments – I have the DLR subscriptions use it often, and consider it a good value. I might pay $1 more but would not pay the WDW pricing as there is not as much content for DLR.

I would pay for WDW obey if I was planning a visit, as I have done in the past.

• August 13, 2018 at 10:32 pm

I agree with Brian that I don’t have an active subscription when I don’t have a trip planned, but tend to renew when we do book a trip. For us, though the exchange rate for Canadians makes the current rate closer to $20, we especially like the room request feature. We haven’t had the greatest luck with the custom plans or the accuracy of the crowd predictions for our trips, but the room request feature, easy access to subscriber-only information on my phone if I need it, and the lines app has made it worthwhile.

• August 13, 2018 at 10:47 pm

I will buck the trend started by Brian — I’m happy to maintain a subscription even when I don’t have a trip planned and buy it three years at a time even though I know that we only go every other year. But that may also play into why I’m not as cavalier about $20 a year; even though I’m certain I would still subscribe if it cost that much it would not seem as easy a buy based on value.

• August 13, 2018 at 11:14 pm

I spend a lot of time tweaking my plans, and I suspect your computer time I use doing this is significantly greater than my subscription price alone. But then planning has always been a big hobby with me. (And I have to treat it as a hobby- even at $10 an hour my time spent planning exceeds the cost of the trip.) However, I doubt that many people spend as much time as I do with this aspect of a trip.

Of course, as befits a planner, I got significant discounts from your base pricing.